3.5 inch touch screen with Arty s7

KingKong

Question

3 answers to this question

Hi @KingKong,

Yes, if you want to design the display driver through HDL logic, then you can absolutely do that on the Arty S7 (I had mentioned the softcore processor since the design materials on the website were all Arduino based so I, incorrectly it seems, presumed you were intending to use the Arty S7 as a processor as well). Using FPGA logic will likely be more efficient as well since you won't have any overhead allocated to functionality that you don't plan to use in the softcore processor. It's more difficult to design of course, but then it will operate exactly as you choose.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @KingKong,

It's hard to say for certain, but based on user manual and TFT specifications documents it seems that the display is designed to handle either 3.3 V or 5 V logic due to the presence of a level shifting IC, indicating to me that the display would operate with either voltage that is being surprised, but I have not intensively dug into the datasheet or schematics to double check this.

What I would be more concerned about is the porting of the material so that it works with the Arty S7; While having the various functions to run the display will be helpful, changing the underlying functions to correctly work with the (what I presume you would be using) Microblaze softcore processor on the Arty S7 as the functions will not inherently be directly compatible.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thank you for the quick response personally I plan to drive the screen using the fpga and not the softcore processor. If I am correct the Arty S7-50 can be used as a fpga and a softcore processor just making sure before I buy the board.