Zybo Z7-10 connection problem?

drkome

Question

I have a Zybo Z7-10, but then I tried to connect JE pin areas with PL2303 while trying uart communication. FPGA was in default state. When there was no program in it, all automatic leds were on. When I made the PL2303 connection, all the leds went out at once. Only the LD13 pin is lightly lit. there was no code in the FPGA. I can't connect to FPGA. Did my card burn out because I only connected 2 pins? I havent problem about cable. And I looked another topics and  Isaw adept software,  I try to connect with card with Adept, And I connected. But I tried to program to bit files what I make bit stream in vivado, it isnt work. What can I do about this. I touched this card new.

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-16 at 20.41.26.jpeg

adept.PNG

Edited by drkome

9 answers to this question

Hi @drkome,

I'm a little confused; I'm not certain what PL2303 is (hardware that you attached to the board? something else?), but based on the output from Adept the board is successfully configured (as you noted). Did LD12 (the "Done" LED next to PGOOD) light up after Adept reported that it successfully programmed the board?

Based on what you described, and because jumper JP5 (just below the "Z7" portion on the silkscreen name) is set to QSPI, I believe what you saw was that the program that was loaded into the QSPI flash was instead superseded by the bitstream program that was loaded instead. If you power cycled the board, whatever program was in flash should "reload" onto the board.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin,
I upload photo about PL2303. I was going to use this cable(PL2303) about UART.  First I didn't send to program to card, it work just default program in this board (default program that all leds work). And I connect this cable between board and computer. And all leds are off and one led is on. ld13 led is lightly lit, other leds are not lit. The LD12 led does not light up even at the slightest movement(if I send program in adept). Adept detects the card. Vivado half-detects. I cannot assign a code to the card with Vivado. gives an error. When I turn off the board. I can't see the default program in flash anymore. Only the LD13 led lights up slightly. Adept detects everything. Adept shows installed but vivado cannot connect. Did the PL2303 damage the board or not. I don't understand. I hope I have explained clearly. just wanted to test uart with pl2303. Thanks 

hata.thumb.PNG.d5a5ba46e7e5a7af57209e73d970c243.PNGft232-usb-ttl-seri-kablo-usb-cevirici-moduller-dfrobot-41191-15-B.thumb.jpg.fee47d3bc5f820acd428b3031371666e.jpg

Edited by drkome

When using USB TTL UART cables, make sure NOT to connect the Power wire ( I'm assuming that this is the Red wire in the picture shown above ) to your board. Doing this may indeed prevent you from configuring the devices on your FPGA board. These cables are designed to allow powering an external board from the USB power pin from the cable. DO NOT try driving the VCC pins on your PMOD connectors externally.

I frequently use such UART cables and breakout boards and make sure to tape the Vcc wire back so that it can't accidentally get connected to my FPGA board. You do want to connect the GND wire to one of the GND pins on your PMOD header.

I suspect that you didn't damage your FPGA board if you used the Red wire.

It's a good idea to have FPGA boards un-powered before attaching external devices. Then connect your UART cable ( make sure that it supports 3.3V logic and not 5V ) to the FPGA board and then the other end to your PC. If the FPGA board is off and there's any sign of it being powered ( such as a faint glow of an LED ), then stop and disconnect whatever you just connected. For some boards this can happen with HDMI cables because they have termination resistors that connect to the power supply on whatever the other end of the cable is connected to. If everything looks good, then go ahead and power your FPGA board and configure the FPGA device. Edited by zygot

@JColvin Hi zygot, 

I connected the red cable and the leds went out (even though I sent any software to the board). But as you can see in the photos, you see the adept program response and the vivado (I think it cannot send the software to the card) response. Did you just want to give information about uart communication? Because I want the card to turn on the led, but the software does not work and does not light. I can't assign software to the board with Vivado. Only LD13 lights up when I power the board or turn off the power and turn on the bidet. I did not quite get it. I tried stm32 3v3 volt  in this pin for led?  I havent 5v uart connection. but I saw one LD12 led now glowed bright and green.  İf I use program uart,  this just bright led13 and low.

WhatsApp Image 2023-02-18 at 00.47.30.jpeg

Edited by drkome

Hi @drkome,

As zygot mentioned, the Zybo Z7 is not intended to be powered through the Pmod host port as shown in your picture with the orange and blue/purple colored wires. The correct way to provide power to the device is through either with a micro B USB cable on J12 or with a 5 V external power supply through the barrel jack connector on J17, as that is the only way the the power can be properly provided at the correct voltage levels to all parts of the system board. The fact that you have the DONE LED turned on when powering the Zybo Z7 through a Pmod host port is very concerning, please disconnect those wires starting with the blue/purple one.

What I would do to check for functionality of the board is:
-slide the power switch on the Zybo Z7 to the off position, disconnect your Zybo Z7 from the computer and other devices, close out both Vivado and Adept
-With the Zybo Z7 still disconnected, ensure that the jumper JP6 (near the power switch) is set to USB, and also set jumper JP5 to JTAG
-Connect the Zybo Z7 to the host computer with a micro B USB cable and turn on the Zybo Z7. LD13 (PGOOD) should light up with a red color (nothing else will happen on the board).
-Open up Adept and load the bitstream that I have attached to this message. This should cause LD12 (DONE) to light up with a green color and cause LD6 to start flashing with a magenta color, as well as each of the switches SW0 through SW3 to turn on the LEDs directly above them. This design tests the functionality of Bank 34 and Bank 35 on the Zybo Z7 to see if either one has been damaged (since Pmod Host port JE has IO pins routed to both of those banks).
-Regardless of if the LEDs or switches appear to be working turn off the Zybo Z7 and then turn it back on again.
-Close Adept and then open up an existing design or a brand new blank design in Vivado. Open up the Hardware Manager in Vivado and load the same bitstream to the Zynq chip (xc7z010).

From your screenshots, Vivado seemingly detects the board somewhat, or at least finds the serial number associated with the device, but not the downstream Zynq chip. I am uncertain as to what the root problem might be in this instance, but let's worry about this test first.

Thanks,
JColvin

SW-LED-ZyboZ7-10.bit

Hi @JColvin,

While sending data with ADEPT, no leds are blinking. There is not the slightest movement on the card. When I send another bitstream there is no activity. Is the card burned? If yes, any chance of adept recognizing the card? though it burned. Because I followed all your steps.

207828473_WhatsAppImage2023-02-16at20_41_26.jpeg.3c70692e0c6c26a4206765b5c54a4198.jpeg

Edited by drkome

What happens if you remove the USB cable from your ZYBO and power the board from an external power supply? Be sure to follow the instructions in the ZYBO-Z7 reference manual and set the jumper on JP6 correctly for using VJACK instead of VBUS. Make sure that the power switch is on.

You've posted a lot of pictures representing connections other than you've described so it's hard to tell what's happened.

VBUS from a USB 2.0 port can supply up to 500 mA, which is enough to do some damage if it's driving pins that are also being driven by onboard power supply regulators. Generally, the VCC wire on USB TTL UART cables come from a small regulator instead of directly from VBUS which limits its ability to supply current.

@zygot  sorry for not expressing myself, It seems that what I want to tell and what you want to explain are very different. I cannot express myself fully. I want to say this. I connected a uart cable in the PL303. I connected the 5V pin of the UART cable to the 3.3 PMOD pin. As soon as I made this connection, all the leds on the board went out at the same time. and the default program was installed in the card. Then Vivado saw the card. But I couldn't send the program. I thought I burned the card. I sent you a message. I have always powered and programmed the board from the J12 pin. I know this. But I can't program anymore since I made a UART connection. Because no matter what I do, only the LD13 led is on on the card. When I connect with ADEPT, the card appears. But from the moment I send the program to the card, any led does not change. I followed your steps it is set to JTAG. I put the CARD switch off mode. I plugged in the USB cable. I sent the bitstream you provided to the card via my adept program.but nothing has changed.  Then you asked me to plug a 3.3v uart cable or I misunderstood, but I made a connection from the 3.3v input of the stm32 and sent you a photo. Only LD12 led turned green. But there was no program installed for it. Normally I use the J12 USB socket to power it. I wanted to ask if I damaged the board, presumably because of the JE 3.3V pin, and if I could fix this damage. Or have I done damage? I wanted to ask if I have a chance to recover the card. I did all your last steps and it didn't work. I am sorry if I disturbed you. Thank you for at least trying to help.

Edited by drkome

There's clearly a language barrier here so everyone appears to be having a difficult time communicating.

If LED13 is lit then that means that the 3.3V power supply on your board is still working. I probably shouldn't have suggested trying to power the board with an external power supply until you've tried JColvin's test first. This was my mistake. You haven't disturbed me at all. I just wish that I could help you.