ADP3250 won't power up

jasm

Question

Hi all,

I have an ADP3250 and it has worked well for my basic purposes since I got it, but I haven't used it in a few months. I went to go use it today, and I can't get it to turn on at all. I'm using the included 19V 3.4A adapter like I always have, but the front power LED won't even illuminate when I turn it on. The supply works fine to power an audio amplifier I have, so it seems fine. I'm at a bit of a loss, the scope worked the last time I used it. I was just measuring some line level audio signals from a DSP, nothing crazy.

I understand I likely did something to cause this, but since it worked fine the last time I used it, I am really confused as to what might have happened. 

I'm not sure where to begin troubleshooting it beyond the basics. Where do I go from here?

3 answers to this question

Hi @jasm,

This is the first instance I've seen (at least from what I can recall) for an ADP not having the LED light up. The power LED in the front is an indicator if all of the power rails were properly enabled, so if it is not lighting up and your host computer is not detecting the device there is limited troubleshooting that could be done.

You likely did a number of these troubleshooting steps, but I will ask them anyways in the interest of being on the same page:

- Double check the power supply is providing 19 V with a multimeter or similar (I know you said it works with an audio amplifier that you have, which is a good sign of its functionality, but still)
- You had ground connected between the ADP3250 and your other system? The line level voltages should not be a problem as the scope inputs are rated up to +50 V without becoming damaged
- Does your host operating system detect the device when you connect it (either in the Device Manager or as a COM port to detect activity)? I'm guessing not but don't want to immediately rule out the LED having burnt out for some reason.

There are are some more detailed troubleshooting steps in these two threads here:

Let me know what you learn.

Thanks,
JColvin

Something must be up with the power supply. I haven't been able to measure it yet because I left my multimeter in the office on accident, but the scope powered up with 19V from my benchtop power supply.

Thanks so much for the quick answers! I'm incredibly relieved it's something so minor.

Thanks,

Jason