DT9816-S External A/D Sample Clock -

pmohan

Question

Using 1KHz, 2usec ttl clock to pin 39 for external A/D clock. Using 'software trigger' to get any data sampling to show on the display. Under the "Acquisition info " it shows a different sample rate that is not my external rate but the default internal A/D clock freq set in the sample freq window box.  The A/D appears to be not picking up the external clock. The manual says the clock frequency is always equal to the frequency of the external A/D sample clock input that you connect to the module. I do not see any place to select "external clock" within QuickDAQ acquisition tab . Is there some other place I need to go to recognize my external clock ? Do I need to also apply an external trigger as well ?   I've tried various pulse widths and frequencies for the external clock with no change in result.    Thanks.

5 answers to this question

Thanks John,

It certainly is easy to match the desired sample frequency to my external data source PRF as you suggest. However, its the phase that is critical. I have a low duty cycle input waveform (constant PRF) that needs to be sampled precisely within a 250 to 500ns interval after a mode-based delay from PRF start. I purchased the 9816 based on the data sheet items 1) external ADC clock capable 2) Data logging app included. Unfortunately, the data sheet does not inform us " QuickDaq does not support external ADC clocking."  This is a key point a user should know.

How do customers use the 9816 external ADC clocking and log data ? This seems like a topic of interest that should be covered in a document somewhere . Are there other software add-ons that can support external clocking (and log data) for the 9816?

If I can't sync the 9816 to my external timing, I could try to sync my external system to the 9816 . Can I output a synchronized copy of the  9816 ADC clock to one of the digital outputs? I could then use that to sync my external pulse generator .

Regards, Paul

Hi Paul,

I'm sorry, I mistakenly thought QuickDAQ supported external clocking. You could look into using the DASYLab software because it supports both external clock and trigger. https://www.mccdaq.com/products/dasylab.aspx. Keep in mind that even with DASYLab the sample rate will be unknown because the hardware is unaware of the external clock frequency. 

Best regards,

John

So I will need to buy the DASYLAB license for $1300 to use the 9816 in external ADC clock mode ?

Can you please answer my question above about using the 9816 to generate a copy of the internal ADC clock and provide that as an output . Is that possible ?

Thanks.

Hello @pmohan.

The DT9816 Series modules do not have an option to output its internal ADC clock.  In order to sync the DT9816-S with an external signal, an external clock must be connected to the DT9816-S and an alternative software option (i.e. DASYLab, LabVIEW, software development using Data Translation's Open Layers .NET API) should be used.  QuickDAQ does not support an external clock input.

Regards,

Fausto