A couple niche things- single sweep capture/monitor vertical channels on outputs?

David Aurora

Question

OK, as I said in the title I totally realise these are niche functions and promise I won't cry if neither are possible 😂

But...

1. Is there any way to do a single sweep capture with the scope? Like say I want to capture 1 second of whatever happens, once, and that's all. I know I can throw it in roll mode and then hit stop at some point, but for the task at hand I'm kind of hoping to just press run and then have one sweep of data saved.

2. Is there any way to set up the AD2 to output the vertical channels though the audio/AWG outputs live for monitoring? I'm guessing this is a very long shot haha, but figured I may as well ask. I use something similar on one of my Tektronix scopes a bit, basically it has a vertical out that is fed by whatever your trigger source is, which I'll often feed to an external frequency counter or an audio amp or whatever else would help with the task at hand.

Basically what I'm doing here are some noise measurements on devices which need to be tested individually and have their measurements saved, so I'm trying to reduce excess data and just capture a fixed period. And on top of that, if I can hear the noise I'm measuring through an external amp while testing that's even better. 

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Hi @David Aurora

1. Yes, set trigger None and press Single (F4)

2. I'm not sure if I understand exactly what you want but the trigger IOs can be configured to output internal trigger signals, like "Scope Detector" although this will be a 10ns pulse with AD2, the "Scope" the post-trigger length of each capture.

image.png

You could also cross-trigger the Patterns to generate a longer pulse and on multiple DIOs to have stronger drive (for a speaker) or the Wavegen.

image.png

1. Amazing, thanks! Will give it a try tomorrow

2. Thanks, not quite what I'm trying to do though. What I was hoping (though I doubt it's possible on the AD2, only one out of my pile of scopes does this) is to essentially have the signal feed through from the scope inputs to the outputs so it can simultaneously be viewed in Waveforms and monitored audibly. I can always split the input off to an amp at the front end, was just hoping it might be possible to even connect a pair of headphones to the AD2 audio output for an all in one solution, the test rig I've built for this purpose is getting kind of large at this point so if I can avoid yet another box that'd be great 😂

Nah, what I'm talking about isn't using those outputs for signal generation, that is straightforward and works great 🙂

Using my Tek 7603 as an example again- it has a vertical out connection at the rear. This outputs whatever is at the input connector, with suitable scaling of course (I'm not with it to check right now, but I believe it's attenuated so that full scale of the CRT is 1V output, similar to outputs of things like my HP distortion analyser). 

In context of what I'm doing:

I've built a circuit that I insert the DUT into, which goes into a x100 low noise amplifier, and then to the scope. I'm using it to select the lowest noise parts from batches. If I plug into the AD2 I can see the signal, no problem. But if I plug into the 7603 I can then plug it's vertical output connection into an amplifier and also listen to the noise I'm seeing on the screen simultaneously.