ADP 5250 Scope Record Mode issues

tfkrauss

Question

Hi, 

I am new to waveforms and it is my first time using an ADP. I am trying to use the record mode on the scope of my ADP 5250 to record data over about 2-5 minutes time. However, when I try to record to file in the scope, it always results in a message saying "Samples lost. Reduce rate.". I've reduced the rate to the minimum as well as the time and that does not seem to work either. The mode selection option also seems to be greyed out which I assume has something to do with my issue as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

image.thumb.png.f322c11ce854e64ef352ea2a64230d17.png

Edited by tfkrauss

4 answers to this question

Hi @tfkrauss,

Unfortunately, my understanding is that the ADP5250 does not support direct recording of Analog data to a file on the computer as per this post:

Maybe Attila was able to work some WaveForms magic to make recording work with the VirtualBench hardware since that post back in December, but I have not heard anything as of yet.

Thanks,
JColvin

On 9/9/2022 at 1:38 AM, attila said:

The AD5250 does not support recording, this button should have been disabled.

On 9/8/2022 at 5:46 PM, JColvin said:

Hi @tfkrauss,

Unfortunately, my understanding is that the ADP5250 does not support direct recording of Analog data to a file on the computer as per this post:

Maybe Attila was able to work some WaveForms magic to make recording work with the VirtualBench hardware since that post back in December, but I have not heard anything as of yet.

Thanks,
JColvin

Thank you for the responses! 

I know that there is also a logger that is separate from the scope. Would this work in place of the record option? My understanding is that they accomplish the same thing but when I use the logger, I seem to get different numbers than when I use the scope. 

Hi @tfkrauss,

I'm not certain the exact limitations on the Logger tool for the ADP5250 (outside of it taking untriggered captures) or how it measures data differently than the oscilloscope tool, but I know that the range setting (via the gear next to the Update dropdown) by default is set to the maximum range which inherently will have the lowest accuracy.

You can adjust the range value to a lower value (appropriate for your system of course), which should increase the accuracy of the measurement as per the Specifications here: https://digilent.com/reference/test-and-measurement/analog-discovery-pro-5250/specifications#mixed_signal_oscilloscope.

Thanks,
JColvin