Alternative to Vivado

Guru Tim

Question

I am frustrated with Vivado 2022.1 and was going to install the update to Vivado 2022.2 but that is 50GB download, and may not resolve the issues I'm having.

Are there alternatives that allow the development in Verilog, and can create the bitstream to program a Zybo Z7-20?

1 answer to this question

On 2/14/2022 at 8:14 PM, Guru Tim said:

I am frustrated with Vivado

I've used just about every version of Xilinx tools since they've been making programming logic and I'm frequently frustrated and disappointed by each version... so all is normal. ( same goes for the Intel tools which have gotten worse in the hands of Altera's new owner )

Vivado/Vitis is the tool set so get friendly as best you can. Don't assume that a newer version is better than an older one for older devices like yours.

Perhaps you could try and describe specific issues that you are having; this will likely produce useful responses.

Do use the Document Navigator tool that gets installed with Vivado and read the tutorials and reference manuals for your device and the tools. Xilinx is not great at keeping the documentation up to date but might be more helpful than the Vivado/Vitis built-in help. The tools are complicated, as are the design and development flows, so jumping in without preparation might not be a good idea.