Basys 3 not recognized by Xilinx VIVADO

Martin2000

Question

Dear Ladies and Gentlemen,

I have a Basys-3 board that I would like to program and debug using the Vivado HW Manager. Unfortunately, Vivado does not recognize the Board at all. I tried several different versions of Vivado and they all cannot recognize the board. I also tried Impact, which cannot connect to the cable. Since I received the board from a former colleague I am not sure if he did something with the FTDI on the board or if it is still programmed correctly. It may also be some windows driver problem (I am using Windows 10 64 Bit). Please help me with this issue. Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Martin

Hi @Martin2000,

Have you gotten to try a different USB cable or USB port on your computer? Some cables do not properly transmit data and focus on charging. I'm presuming that when you connect the USB cable to the Basys 3 on J4 and turn the board, the power good LED turns on.

You can check to see if the board is properly detected in Windows with the instructions mentioned in this post:

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Dear JColvin,

Thank you very much for the hints.

I tried several different Micro-USB cables on different ports (front usb, backside usb and usb hub). I tried a different PC with Windows 7 as well. I also reinstalled the drivers. The board is powered on and I tried all jumper positions (shouldn't matter since the manual says that JTAG programming is always possible and the jumper only prevents startup from flash etc.). The USB Serial Converter A and B are listed in the device manager, but Vivado can't see the cable at all. Neither can Impact or the chipscope analyzer.

Best regards,

Martin

Hi @Martin2000,

In the interest of better determining the potential root cause, do the USB Serial Converters in the Device Manager have a Bus Reported Device Description (Details tab in their Properties) of Digilent USB Device, or have something else listed? If you can, I'd like to know if Digilent's Adept system, https://digilent.com/reference/software/adept/start, is able to detect the Basys 3; the reason for this is because Xilinx uses Adept's underlying drivers to detect and connect Digilent hardware through the FTDI solution, making this a "from source" option.

Out of curiosity, when the jumpers are set to have the Basys 3 boot from flash memory, does the board seemingly do anything (switches turn on LEDs, activity on a serial terminal, etc)? If the board does do something that would at least indicate that the on-board FPGA is functional, though of course if nothing is observed that isn't a guarantee that the FPGA is broken (maybe the flash is empty or programmed with a non-visual .bin file).

If those don't indicate useful results, we can try to reprogram the FTDI chip on the Basys 3.

Thanks,
JColvin

Dear JColvin,

thank you very much for the answer. The bus reported device description is indeed "Digilent USB Device" on both serial converters. The Adept system was unable to detect anything unfortunately. The board does boot up correctly (the demo design is loaded and the leds are flashing and so on), if the jumper is set to QSPI. Everything seems ok, but it somehow doesn't want to detect the board. Could be a driver conflict or the FTDI not being programmed correctly.

Best regards,

Martin

@JColvin Hello, I read all conversations above. I am also dealing with same issues. I am using Nexys A7 FPGA board. This board is not detecting at all. I changed USB cable, still not works. With the same cable, Zybo Z7 board is connecting well. But issue is with Nexys A7.

I tried with adept software too. Still not detecting.

Any help will be much more appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hi there,
I found this thread in search of the solution to the similar problem. I have just purchased Basys 3 board.
It is on windows 11 machine with correct microusb cable with Vivado 2022.
The problem appears to be with driver installation as I can only see USB Serial Converter B  and a COM port as USB Serial Port [as shown in figure attached, with red arrows]. From many answers that I have read, normal behaviour of the board would show USB Serial Converter A and B under USB controllers section in device manager. In my case USB Serial Converter A is missing! 
I have tried reinstallation of the Vivado as well but no luck. Vivado only connects to the localhost and then does not detect any fpga board when I press autoconnect.
Should I attempt to reprogram FTDI as some suggesting in this thread. 
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

basys3 error.png

Hello there,

I am having the same problem,  USB Serial Converter A and B are listed in the device manager, description is "Digilent USB Device" on both serial converters. But, in my case, the adept system does detect my board.

image.thumb.png.249efc7911b72af31f8d638c60180910.png

The same basys 3 board is being detected in other PCs. And taking other basys 3s that are actually working on other PCs are neither working on mine.

Thank you,

Manu

Hi @manuaiz33,

From what you have described, the Basys 3 is properly detected by both Adept, the Windows OS, and other computer systems, but other working Basys 3's are not being detected on your system (presumably you mean the Vivado software in this instance since you did not clarify what you meant by not working, i.e. not powering on, not detected by the operating system, not detected by Adept, not detected by Vivado, something else), this indicates to me that the Vivado software is the most likely source of this issue.

I'm not sure what you have attempted with regards to troubleshooting Vivado specifically, so this is the list of what I would recommend checking with regards to Vivado in semi-order of relative ease:

- Restart Vivado
- Check that the hw_server isn't still running in the background while Vivado is closed
- Make sure the drivers that Xilinx wants to use are installed in the place where Xilinx wants to look for them (https://docs.xilinx.com/r/en-US/ug973-vivado-release-notes-install-license/Install-Cable-Drivers)
- Make sure that Artix 7 architecture is installed with your Xilinx install via Manage Devices in the Xilinx Information Center (shouldn't affect the driver installation status and likely isn't the issue but writing it down anyways)
- Restart computer
- Uninstall and reinstall Vivado

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello, I read all conversations above. I am also dealing with same issues. I am using digilent Arty 7  FPGA board. This board is not detecting at all. I changed USB cable, still not works. With the same cable, other board is connecting well.

I tried with adept software too. Still not detecting.

Any help will be much more appreciated.

Thanks in advance.