ADP3450 record mode sample rate and dropping samples

cprosser

Question

Hi Folks,

I have an ADP3450 connected via a dedicated ethernet port on my computer. When I run the speed test it reports:
To Device: 0.142ms 57.59MiBps
From Device: 0.1414ms 71.105MiBps 4 MiB

I'm having a problem with the Scope in record mode. I'm running at 1MHz sample rate and any attempt to capture >1M samples fails by losing all the scope samples and reporting "Samples were lost. reduce sampling rate".

This is Beta 3.17.21. I'm on Win 11 on decent machine (i5-12600K). That big spike at the end is surprising (and exceeds the speed test numbers).

I've attached the network utilization profile.

--chris
network-utilization.thumb.png.295369c3ccf8684f6ab37fe00053d721.pngofile for the dedicated ethernet port. It looks off to me.

7 answers to this question

@attila thanks for the tip about the firmware! Looks like I was not being prompted to update the firmware since I had an ethernet only connection. I switched to USB only and I got the prompt in the device manager. Working great now.

Edit: Actually, still doesn't work correctly over ethernet though USB is working fine. I rolled back to 3.17.1 to see if it was a beta issue or not. I have the ethernet pretty locked down (no internet access, just access to my pc and that's it). Let me see if changing that helps.

Edited by cprosser

Hmm. Found another firmware update (now on h340) but that didn't help. Ethernet (even with USB connected) still doesn't cache and forward correctly. On USB the % sample/prefill works correctly. On ethernet it never shows up and just says "Recording", and the returns an empty screen when done.

no-data.thumb.png.063531a0c7580ac0d6fbab7fe7490d0b.pngfirmware_version.thumb.png.af9af8e3cd4a2a2d1c3192194c4b9efa.png

Can't reproduce the bug? That sounds like a challenge :-)

I spent a little bit more time poking at it. It looks like it only occurs when you have two or fewer channels. You can see the attached video how the problem goes away when I switch it to three channels. I also tried lowering my ethernet connection speed to 100 Mb per second full duplex, that did not impact the behavior at all.

One thing I've noticed between USB versus ethernet mode is that USB provides more status updates. For instance when recording it provides prefill percentage in USB, but ethernet the pre-fill is not reported. Don't know if that's expected behavior or not.

two-channels-cause-bug.gif