Need guidance on initializing my files--2021.2 software for Vivado for my Digilent Artix-7 board.

JSpar

Question

Dec 8, 2021

Hello,

Any suggestion would be good at this point, I am open and willing to try.

Not getting things going has usually been relatively small problems.

It's been over a year that I've tried to get started.

Need help and suggestions as to why my program will not initialize.

Software is 2021.2 software for Vivado for my Digilent Artix-7 board.
     I have a relatively new computer, 2018 Dell with 1 TB of memory,
     with about 750 GB still left over.   

You can email me at jsparbear5@gmail.com

Yours truly,

Joshua Sparber

previous input:

Nov. 30, 2021

Hello again,

I was able to install the 2021.2 software for Vivado for my Digilent Artix-7 board.

I am starting Vivado to get my first project going and it will not conclude the 
    initialization process for my files.  I am following Appendix A in the Digital Design
    book by Haskell and Hanna. For some reason I get to the last step and it just 
    hangs and hangs in the initialization process. Is there something I need to do? 
    I believe .2 is new, are there additional files to add--how do I fix this?

Josh Sparber

jsparbear5@gmail.com

1 answer to this question

Hi @JSpar,

I'm not familiar with this particular book, though as you noted in your other Forum thread, it is referencing a number of Digilent boards that have been retired for quite some time (and I imagine is using the 2015 version of the Vivado software).

I'm not entirely certain what you mean by "it will not conclude the initialization process for my files". Are saying that Vivado is not opening, or that you have made a project and are not able to generate a bitstream?

If it is the latter, I am not certain where you are in the design process, but Digilent has a couple of guides for creating a design in the newer versions of Vivado. This guide, https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/guides/getting-started-with-vivado, will walk you through creating a basic hardware only design, and this guide, https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/guides/getting-started-with-ipi, will walk through creating a block design with a soft-core microprocessor.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin