Initialization problem--Nexsys A7, following Haskell and Hanna Appendix A---but hangs and hangs

JSpar

Question

Dec 15, 2021

Hello again,

I was able to install the 2021.2 software for Vivado for my Digilent Artix-7 board.

I am starting Vivado to get my first project going and it will not conclude the 
    initialization process for my files.  I am following Appendix A in the Digital Design
    book by Haskell and Hanna. For some reason I get to the start of page 355, where
    I am to put in Finish and then proceed for the rest of the procedure on pages 355
    to page 370 (end of Appendix A).

The book shows Nexsys 2-4 on the cover, I am wondering if there is an updated
    procedure, or a patch or something I have to upload. and seems to be centered 
    on the 2017 models or earlier. It just hangs and hangs in the initialization process.
    What do I need to do? The board itself seems healthy and I have checked, at least
    for 5 volts. I also have tried example programs--these hang too. 

I believe version .2 is new, are there additional files to add--how do I fix this?
    Do I need to uninstall 2021 and then install 2017 and then install 2021 or 
    something else. I've worked with a lot of applications in the past.   

I am seeking guidance on completing the initialization process.

Please do RSVP, or direct me where I can find the correct guidance.

Josh Sparber

2 answers to this question

Hello,

I responded to your other question here:

You can Xilinx's 2017 or 2021 software with the guides I linked in that post (which include guides on installing the software). The 2017.x version of the software will be a smaller download in terms of gigabytes; both versions of the software will be more or less the same in terms of functionality (though they might have a different look and support different boards, though both fully support the Nexys A7). Most demos Digilent has for the Nexys A7, https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/nexys-a7/start, use 2018.2 if I remember correctly.

Thanks,
JColvin

Dec, 21, 2021

Mr. Colvin,

Persistent circling after intialize program 12_21_2021.pdf    Again, I referenced the new manual and I am following the procedure for the Hardware Only right now. I added an XDC from GitHub so that I could run my constraints.

Currently, the program is still circling around like a buzzard waiting to lay an egg. I have captured the state of this in the included snapshot. I cancelled this and backgrounded this circling so that it now resides in the lower right hand corner. The cancelling also circled and circled.
     Do you have any guidance about what I should do next?

Signed,
Josh Sparber

Persistent circling after intialize program 12_21_2021.pdf Persistent circling after cancel program.pdf