ECLYPSE Z7 Power failure

Saeed123321

Hello. 

I bought an ECLYPSE Z7 board some time ago. I was working on a project where I was interfacing some external peripherals on PMODs of the board. The board has suddenly been turned off and not powering up anymore. Kindly guide me in this. To figure out what is the cause and how can it be corrected. Seems like the custom power IC isn't turning on

Thanks

Hi @Saeed123321,

What sort of peripherals were you attaching to the Pmod ports on the Eclypse? Pmods themselves or a different type of peripheral?

I'm guessing that none of the status LEDs turn on when the 12V power supply is attached and the board is switched on? Presuming the that is the case, could you let me know the voltages at the following capacitors? (and if you see any visible damage on the ICs)

(located on the underside of the board between the Zmod ports)
C291 - should match power supply at 12V
C293 - should be 3.3V
C271 - should be 5.0V (next to L6)
C277 - should be 1.0V (next to L7)
C302 - should be 1.6V by default (next to L8)
C264 - should match power supply at 12V (other side of L8 from where C302 is)
C303 - should be 1.6V by default (next to L9)

(top side of the board near the 12V power supply input)
C296 - needs to between 10.038V and 10.407V, typically 10.221V for the input voltage enable threshold based on the last page of the Eclypse Z7 schematic, https://digilent.com/reference/_media/reference/programmable-logic/eclypse-z7/eclypse_z7_sch_b2.pdf.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin

Thanks for your reply

The voltage at different caps are as follows

C291 - 12.08V

C293 - 3.3V

C271 - 5.02V

C277 - 1.00V

C302 - 0V

C264 - 12V

C303 - 0V

C296 - 1.2V

There is no visible physical damage to any ICs. None of the status LEDs are on. The peripherals attached to the system were Zmod ADC 1410 on ZMODA, and one serial LCD on the PMOD connected through flying wires.

It looks like that IC29 has somehow locked every thing, but I can not find any datasheet of it.

Thanks

Saeed

Would you also be able to check the following capacitors; I just realized I had missed them the first time around will give us a better idea of where the root cause might be. I had also checked with design engineer and they pointed out that the C296 is set up with a 10:1 ratio with the resistors, so the 1.2V measurement you got should be expected with a 12V input:

On the under side of the board
- C305 (next to L2) -- this should be 3.3V and powers the PMIC and a number of SoC banks
- C243 (next to L3) -- this should be 1.35V and powers the DDR memory
- C249 (next to L4) -- this should be 1.8V and powers the SD card (and other things)

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @Saeed123321,

Based on this, it seems that the second power regulator (IC25), as opposed to the power management chip (IC29), is not working, considering that other power regulator (IC27) is providing the 5.0 V and 1.0 V rails which are both only enabled when the power management chip is correctly supplying the corresponding power good signals. As you measured previously, the 12 V input line which is used to power the second power regulator as well as power control line specifically for the power management chip (which we also confirmed was at the correct voltage value).

What I would recommend at this point would be to submit an RMA request to the Sales team via the Sales and Order Support form available here: https://digilent.com/shop/shipping-returns/#return-policy with the original posting date for when you started up the support conversation; you'll be able to show that you've worked with me on the Forum by linking this same thread. To be clear, I don't have control over whether or not the RMA is granted, I can only recommend that it should be replaced since I can't really imagine a situation where a peripheral on a Pmod port or Zmod fries an entire regulator without it being a manufacturing defect.

Thanks,
JColvin