Sending UDP packets at 1Gb/s over RGMII

hamster

Following on from playing with Arty's 10/100 Ethernet Interface, I've got a Gigabit PHY working over the RGMII interface.

It is really rough, as it doesn't yet handle the slower speeds correctly, but it is able to send 979 Mb/s to my laptop (not that my Laptop can keep up with it!

http://hamsterworks.co.nz/mediawiki/index.php/GigabitTX

Hopefully it will be of help to somebody who wants to get a lot of data off of their FPGA board without having the overhead of a CPU and full TCP/IP stack.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for this, this is great stuff! 

I have a question, were you able to view the sent data through some other application other then wireshark? I am able to see all the packets through wireshark but am unable to view the packets through any other application or terminal. 

20 hours ago, AdamZ said:

Thanks for this, this is great stuff! 

I have a question, were you able to view the sent data through some other application other then wireshark? I am able to see all the packets through wireshark but am unable to view the packets through any other application or terminal. 

If anyone is having the same problem this is what I did to solve the problem:

• Set a static IP for the Ethernet ipv4
  • I incremented the packet identification for each sent packet; somehow the OS was not registering packets with the same ID 
  • Don't send 0000...00 data, as terminals see this as NULL and will not show as anything received

Nice!

By the way, I have an internal project called PHYNET that let's me communicate between a number of FPGA boards through a standard gigabit switch and there's not a MAC amongst them. I've used GMII and RGMII PHY interfaces so far and boards with Xilinx, Altera, and Lattice FPGAs.

I'm a fan.

Archived