Dual programing with Linux and classic logical blocks

duretm

Question

Hello everybody,

I'm new to this forum and to fpga programing and I got a question: is it possible to implement a linux on microblaze and having non linux-managed blocks (classic logical blocks) at the same time?

and how to realize that. I got the webpack suite of Xilinx (vivado + sdk), i'm working on windows but got a ubuntu virtual machine ready.

To define the project, a little draw:

image.png.a27a2a5878b9ad2a68bc3024571324e9.png

For the linux implementation, i found @loberman manual, i was close by myself but it's realy helpfull.

Thanks guys

3 answers to this question

Well that's the thing, the blocks under the TIMESTAMP REGISTER and CONFIG REGISTER won't be controled by the linux,. I'm will write those IP, test them and implement them.

The idea behind behind the global system is to have 2 indepedant "sub systems" (linux and the rest) with no control between them. I don't know if I'm clear in my explanation xD

So my question will be, if I want to do that, to implement the linux, i need to create a device-tree, and a Linux image (eventually a U-boot too). Then I can load the linux, but I don't understand when the bitstream is loaded and how the Linux will known which hardware is interfacing with it? 

My though is: device-tree => only hardware relative to linux 

Only device-tree loaded => only linux on platform

So there is something missing, am I right?

You'll design your embedded linux system with these additional components just like you would without them. The bit stream will contain both systems. It is loaded by the boot loader during the boot process. The additional components are going to be completely invisible to your linux system.

Out of curiosity, which development board are you working with?

Archived