Pmod wifi Interface

Pavani Ganisetti

Question

16 answers to this question

Hi @Sivaji@iiitn,

Could you be more specific about your project? Are you trying to control previously enabled WIFI home appliances like this Light bulb or power outlet with the zedboard/pmod wifi? Or are you planning on enabling WIFI into these type of appliances and then control them using the zedboard/pmod WIFI. I have not designed either type of project so I do not know how helpful I will be.

thank you,

Jon

Hi @Pavani Ganisetti,

You could use that module. The way I would probably set up such a system would be to put the relay on it's own separate board (such as a breadboard) and connect jumper/fly wires from the Zedboard to the relay board and on the outputs of the relay use wires to connect to your light and motor as appropriate. An example of how this connection might generically look can be found on one of the images in step 10 of this Instructable.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @Pavani Ganisetti,

Yes, you would need to then add some external circuitry connected to the two GPIO pins in order to make the motor and LED work. I would strongly recommend using a transistor to control the motor as the pin from the FPGA will not not provide enough wattage (both in voltage and current) to successfully drive the motor. You will also likely need some sort of external power source to power the motor in general.

In terms of driving the motor, you will probably want to use PWM (perhaps through the AXI timer IP from Xilinx) or a similar technique to control the FPGA pin that will then "turn on" the transistor at appropriate intervals to make your motor run at the desired speed. If you are wanting to drive the motor both directions, you will also need to implement an external H-Bridge and add an additional GPIO signal to gain the required secondary input for that setup.

Good luck,
JColvin

Hi @Pavani Ganisetti,

Remove switches and leds to the axi gpio ip block in block design in vivado. Then right click on the gpio and gpio2 of the output of the GPIO IP core and select make external. Then you will need to add an xdc file to constrain the pins.  I have attached the deWebIOServerScr.cpp file which shows how to add a standard gpio connection and not the board file leds and switches. Starting on line 108 the code should look something like:

//Add pins to PinsPage.htm
    addPINs(XPAR_AXI_GPIO_0_BASEADDR, 8, 0);
    addPINs(XPAR_AXI_GPIO_0_BASEADDR+8, 8, 1);

thank you,

Jon   

deWebIOServerSrc.cpp

zed_wifi_other_pins.jpg

Hi @Sivaji@iiitn,

To clarify the led and small motor will be physically connected to the Zedboard. The android application will connect the zedboard to a smartphone through wifi. It should also control the small motor and led. If this is the case then you should be able to alter the HTTP server to interact with the small motor and led instead of the switches and on-board leds. 

thank you,

Jon

hi@jpeyron

I  would like to interface  a small motor(in place of fan),an led (in place of electric bulb) to fpga .We would like to control the speed of  fan and light  through wifi by interfacing  pmod wifi to zedboard.For user intreface,we have to built some android application to conterol the speed of light wireless.

thank you,

sivaji

hI @jpeyron

I am implementing  home automation on fpga (zedboard) .We  want to  control the home appliances through wifi  like controlling the speed of fan and lights on/off using pmod wifi.

Till now I competed the block design as you had done in the forum   and I need information about how to interface  the all the to fpga board .Can you provide me all this information?

Thank you,

Sivaji

Hi @Pavani Ganisetti,

Here is a YouTube video tutorial on using the Pmod WIFI. It uses an Artix-7 development board so the specifics are different but the overall process will be the same. Here is the zedboard getting started with zynq tutorial that should be helpful with getting to know the ZYNQ processor.  The AXI GPIO is used with this specific example. When connecting additional IP Cores through the axi bus to the zynq/microblaze processors vivado adds the axi interconnect and axi processor system reset.

thank you,

Jon

ZYNQ.jpg

Hi @jpeyron

Thank you for the information. As you have suggested, I have a problem with my vivado library files after changing them I got my bitstream . Though I generated my bitstream I don't know why we kept those blocks in the block design. I am completely new to this field . So can you provide any information regarding that ?

Thank you,

Pavani

Hi @Pavani Ganisetti,

The errors are dealing with the constraints. Please attach a screen shot of the vivado project settings and the ip repository( where you added the vivado library).  If you are able to use a different version of vivado we posted a working project of the forum thread here using Vivado 2017.4 with the Pmod WIFI and the Zedboard.

thank you,

Jon

Hi@jpeyron

Thank you for providing the information .I followed the same as it was mentioned in the thread.But I got errors while generating bitstream.I am completely new to this field and I am unable to crack those errors.I attached the screenshot .The version of vivado I am using is 2016.1.Please let me know where I did the mistake.

Thank you

Pavani.

Screenshot (31).png

Archived