Does Adept still support the Spartan 2E?

dseagrav

Question

5 answers to this question

Hi @dseagrav,

I contacted another one of our engineers about this and they let me know that none of the devices that were previously supported have been removed. However, they did mention that for the newer versions of Adept, available on the Adept Resource Center, have not been tested on any chip older than the 7 series chips present on Digilent made boards, so if a particular newer version of Adept doesn't work on the Spartan IIE chips, you'll need to go back to an older version to find one that is compatible.

Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thanks,
JColvin

Is there a way to get a log or something of the write process then? What's going on is that I want to reuse an older Digilent board (a D2SB) that I got for a previous project which has long since completed. It was sitting around doing nothing and I have a new task it can probably do well. Adept detects and identifies the devices properly, but when I tell it to program either the FPGA or the configuration ROM from a SVF file, it says programming was successful but nothing is actually written to the device. If I try to program the FPGA from a bit file instead, it says programming was unsuccessful and the FPGA stops what it was doing.

Hi @dseagrav,

To add error logging in adept 2:

1. Add the ability to enable error logging by setting the

"ADEPT_RT_LOGDETAIL" environment variable to a value greater than

or equal to '1'. Presently all values greater than '0' result in the

same output to the log file. Future revision may include the ability

to output additional debug information by setting different error

levels.

2. Added the ability to specify the path to the error log file by

setting the "ADEPT_RT_LOGFILE" environment variable. If error

logging is enabled and the path has been specified then any errors

that occur will be logged to the specified file. If error logging is

enabled and the "ADEPT_RT_LOGFILE" environment variable has not been

set then any errors that occur will be logged to a file named

"DebugErc.log", which will be created under the application's

current working directory.

thank you,

Jon

After trying this for awhile, I came to the conclusion that this just does not work anymore, at least not in my case. Adept 1.0 does not support the USB cable I have, and the oldest 2.16 release on the download page has the same issue as the current version. Setting the environment variables above did not result in the creation of a log file or any messages indicating that the creation of one failed. I tested to ensure write permissions for the destination successfully but nothing was created. I was able to get the original .bit files that were written to the device when it was last flashed successfully (they were on a backup cd) but they failed the same as the newly created test file. I wasn't able to test with a SVF file as the original project did not create one (it used impact with a parallel port cable).

Anyway, thanks for your time, but it looks like this is a dead end. I don't know if it's due to something wrong with my board or something wrong with adept, so I can't conclusively answer my question either. I apologize for the waste of time.

Archived