Max allowed DRAM Size on XUP-V5LX110T board

VaheJ

Question

I have a Xilinx University Program V5LX110T FPGA development board which I previously purchased from Digilent.   What is the maximum allowed DRAM capacity that this board accepts and how can I determine which specific SO DIMM module I can upgrade to accept higher capacity?

3 answers to this question

Hi @VaheJ,

The reference manual for the Virtex-5 OpenSPARC says that it has a 64-bit wide, 256-MB DDR2 small outline DIMM (SODIMM), compatible with EDK supported IP and software drivers.   i am not aware of any way to upgrade this.  I also recommend them to reach out to OpenSPARC . They might have more information about upgrading the 256-MB DDR2.

thank you,

Jon

According to Page 19  of UG347 (v3.1.2) May 16, 2011 on

https://www.xilinx.com/support/documentation/boards_and_kits/ug347.pdf

DDR2 Memory Expansion

The DDR2 interface support user installation of SODIMM modules with more memory since higher order address and chip select signals are also routed from the SODIMM to the FPGA

Now I just need to know which SODIMM module I can substitute if I need 1GB Capacity.

Hi @VaheJ,

You will likely need to reach out to Xilinx as they created that particular user guide. Be aware though that on the previous page to the one you referenced, no other speeds have been tested than the 400 MHz data rate, and I wouldn't be surprised if alternate memory sizes were not extensively tested as well, though as you note, the user guide claims that the appropriate chip select signals and other IOs were appropriate routed.

Thanks,
JColvin

Archived