PmodLVLSHFT Overshoot/Undershoot

Josh Sackos

Question

Hi Guys,

I am converting an output signal from JA-01 on a Cerebot MX3cK every 300ns. I use a PmodLVLSHFT to convert the 3.3V output signal to a 5V signal for interfacing some LEDs with very strict timing. The PmodLVLSHFT responds very quickly to a change on pin JA-01, but overshoots/undershoots (oscillates) for about the first 50ns after the signal has transitioned. I have tried using a small capacitor to smooth the rise/fall, but all attempts result in either too slow of a rise/fall time or no change at all. Do you have any other suggestions on how to eliminate the overshoot/undershoot and preserve the quick rise/fall time of the signal?

It should be noted that the overshoot/undershoot is present on the 5V output signal of the PmodLVLSHFT when there is no load attached to it, i.e. no LEDs. Also, the signal is not used as the power source for the LEDs, it is merely a digital input signal for writing 1's and 0's into shift registers. The PmodLVLSHFT is brand new, thus it has not been used for any other project. I measure the overshoot/undershoot by hooking the output of the PmodLVLSHFT up to a 100MHz oscilloscope directly.

Thanks,

Josh

2 answers to this question

Hi Josh,

I definitely agree that you shouldn't be seeing that much oscillation with the PmodLVLSHFT since I/O timing on the Cerebot MX3ck should be fast enough (10 ns or so) and the datasheet for the transceiver present on the Pmod reports a slew rate of 10 ns and switching characteristics for your voltage ranges that are also nice and quick. I don't have the equipment on hand so I'm not able to check it out (I'll ask some of the applications engineers about it), but I agree that the 50 ns is longer than expected.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi Josh,

If you have some screen captures from the oscilloscope to help us see the issue. We duplicated the situation and here are some screen captures. We were not able to duplicate the overshoot for 50ns.The overshoot is reduce with resistance from the load. So with the load being added it should reduce settle time.

Thank you,

Jon

PmodLVLSHFT_RevB_overshoot-01.jpg

PmodLVLSHFT_RevB_overshoot-02.jpg

PmodLVLSHFT_RevB_overshoot-03.jpg

Archived