Waveforms Delay in Network Analyzer?

House de Kris

Question

I've been having tons of fun with my AD2, but now I've got a question. Perhaps the answer is in the manual, alas I haven't read it thoroughly - yet. At any rate, is there a way to set a delay time in the Network Analyzer?  When measuring passive, or simple active circuits, it works like a charm. But, for circuits that have a large inherent delay, its utility diminishes. For example, a digital filter with an ADC in front, followed by a DAC on the back end, could have milliseconds of processing time. A few milliseconds at 100kHz is thousands and thousands of degrees. This makes the phase plot less than useful. By being able to dial in the delay time of the circuit, the phase plot can be as informative as it is with simple RC networks. I remember old HP/Agilent network analyzers having a user adjustable delay parameter which made large propagation delay devices measureable. I've been impressed with Waveforms so far, and it probably already has this capability, I just haven't stumbled upon it in all the button pushing I've been doing.

Thanks for any tips!

4 answers to this question

I tried it out, no change. I suspect that "settle" is a dwell time wait after the stimulus is applied before the actual measurement is made. The default is 10ms. If this was the delay I was asking for, 10ms of delay would make Bode Phase measurements of a simple RC network impossible to interpret. Rather, I'm looking for a way to delay the reference signal in time to align with the delay of a device with a (relatively) huge propagation delay. Hope this makes sense.

Hi @House de Kris

The Network Analyzer uses FFT to identify the phase relation between the Scope channels, which works in range of -180..+180deg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bode_plot

I'm not sure exactly what measurement are you looking for but for such huge delayed response time you can use the Wavegen to generate stimulus signal, Scope to trigger on this signal or on Wavegen, and measure manually the delay on the output of your circuit, something like this:
image.png.8f077880759a7132e7ca8314d0264553.png

Archived