Finding port name on Arty Z7-10

JJH

Question

I'm looking to create a baremetal/fabric only LED blinker project on the Arty Z7-10. (I'm expanding on the example on the reference page.) I got the 4 basic LEDs blinking by uncommenting the lines in the Arty-Z7-10-Master.xdc file. However, when I uncomment the RGB lines I get errrors about the ports not being found. Running "get_ports led4_b" (for instance) giver me an error. I've tried just "get_ports" and it shows me the clocks and the 4 LEDs, but that's all.  I tried changing the name to rgb_led_tri_o[0] (found in the board XML) and that didn't work either.

So two questions. What magic is happening to get the port names created/assigned? Where can I find that?

And two, what name should be being used? How do I find these names. Next will be buttons, how will I find out what to use?

2 answers to this question

After posting this I has a flash of understanding. So for future reference by other people I'll answer my own question.

When you create a top level module in Vivaldo, the input and outputs of that are  then the signal names Vivaldo knows about. These are then referenced by constraint files such as the Arty-Z7-10-Master.xdc . So I created an output [2:0] rgb1 and names the rgb led4 get_ports designators rgb[0] and such. (Changing the names from the file's led4_b for instance. I found putting them into an array much easier to address.)

I suspect it'll be a bit different when I move to working with the PS. However, I'll create custom IO named whatever and hope it hooks up.

Archived