Problem on Vivado starup on Ubuntu

Newport_j

Question

In the attached document, I have an error.

I worked through eh VIvado HLS tutorial on Windows completely except for the final two chapters. I am now trying to work through the tutorial again on Ubuntu. After sourcing setting.sh. I type

Vivado.

it comes up slowly, but also issues two warning about write permissions in a Ubuntu directory.

The attached sheet has a text of the warnings.

I am a little rusty on this so what changes should I make to avoid these warnings showing up again.

As I said the warnings are only on the Ubuntu tutorial.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Newport_j

CRITICAL WARNING.zip

7 answers to this question

I do not believe that I am. That seems rather dangerous. I want to be root when I am installing software or making major system changes. I can start Vivado as root,  I just would like to be not root while using Vivado.

Respectfully,

Newport_j

Hi @Newport_j,

I was able to launch vivado 2017.4 as a normal user with the critical warnings about permissions. Here is a guide on how to add launching vivado to the bash file as well as what folders need their permissions changed and how to do it. This should alleviate the permissions warnings.

cheers,

Jon 

Newport_j.jpg

I will try what you said. I have seen this document before. the only thing that scared (and it really scared me) are the two lines:

sudo chmod 777 -R /opt/Xilinx/

Sudo chmod 777 -R ~/.Xilinx?

When ever I see the -R option marker it really causes me to pause. If one is not careful then that -R can make changes to all of the files and destroy your install.

I just need to know what these two lines mean and how to use them safely.

Respectfully,

Newport_j

Hi @Newport_j,

The first digit of a chmod command represents the permissions of the owner of a file or directory. The second is for the group. The third is for the "universe" -- that is, everyone else. So, chmod 777 represents read, write, and execute permission for you, the group, and everyone. The  -R option changes the directory and the files/directories below it recursively. 

thank you,

Jon 

Archived