Using multiple JTAG-HS2 Programmers on USB hub

SandyH

Question

I am using multiple JTAG-HS2 probes to debug a multi-chip product and am using a USB HUB to connect all of the HS2 probes to my system. This configuration worked fine for many months, but lately it has started to crash the Xilinx Hardware Manager. When this happens, all probes close and must be re-opened and then downloaded. Has anyone seen this before? Are there specific requirements for the USB hub? Is there a list of inter-operable USB hubs available?

Thanks for any advise,

Sandy

3 answers to this question

Hi @SandyH,

Welcome to the forums. I reached out to one of our design engineers about this thread an they responded that they are not sure what’s causing this. We don’t have a list of known working hubs, nor are they aware of any issues with any hubs. Did you recently upgrade Vivado? Perhaps Xilinx changed something internally.

thank you,

Jon

No, we have been on version 2016.4 for a while. This started to happen only after I started using a USB Hub. To the best of my knowledge, we are correctly powering the HS2 via the jtag connector, so I don't think its a power issue within the HS2, unless you do require some power from the USB connector. Have you tested this product with multiple HS2 modules concurrently through a USB hub?

Hi @SandyH,

Our design engineer has tested multiple devices connected at the same time but only with the hubs that they have on their desk. One is manufactured by Anker, and the other by StarTech. The module does draw some power over USB. They suggest avoiding self powered hubs if possible. I  would suggest going back to direct connection to the PC. To determine if it is the HUB. 

thank you,

Jon

Archived