Linux Mint: DptiIO failed ERC: 0x2 JtscInitScanChain failed ERC: 0x3E9 Device programming failed.

johu

Question

I used my AD2 through a USB isolator. The isolator has a power supply jack that I hooked up to a 5V PS from a USB hub. After that, both the isolator and the AD2 are dead, pretty much at least:

DptiIO failed ERC: 0x2

JtscInitScanChain failed ERC: 0x3E9

Device programming failed.

So the AD2 is detected with it's serial number but the remaining procedure fails. I've tried different USB cables, AUX power supply from my lab PS, directly connected to the PC (laptop) or via powered USB hub.

It turns out the USB Hub PS is faulty, it swings between 4V and 10V as I tested with my remaining analog scope. Is the USB input not protected? The scope was purchased October 17, does warranty cover this? Anything else to try?

I should add that I have extensively used the AD2 since purchase with only occasional glitches such as the message above or fake over current conditions (supposedly drawing 1000mA over USB while nothing was connected at all!)

Using Linux Mint 18 64-bit, Kernel 4.4.0-116-generic.

> lsusb

Bus 001 Device 005: ID 2232:1024 Silicon Motion
Bus 001 Device 004: ID 8087:07da Intel Corp.
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 002: ID 0403:6014 Future Technology Devices International, Ltd FT232H Single HS USB-UART/FIFO IC
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

9 answers to this question

Hi @johu,

I'm personally not aware of other things you could attempt since you have tried other other cables and power supply options, but the engineer much more familiar with the AD2 will see this thread and let you know if there is something else you could try; it may be a couple of days until they respond due to the weekend and timezone differences.

The only other question I had to help clarify things is were you using the AD2 with the USB isolator and that USB Hub in these past few months successfully or was this a new thing that you had attempted in your setup?

Thank you,
JColvin

Hi @johu

Only the auxiliary supply has extended protection, since similar plugs can provide different voltages and reverse polarity.
On the USB plug 5V is expected. The power switch in the line (ADP197) and other regulators are rated up to 5.5V
The USB controller is supplied directly from USB and it is rated up to 5.8V

Unfortunately it looks like on your device the USB controller survived the ?10V but other ICs on the board got damaged.
https://reference.digilentinc.com/reference/instrumentation/analog-discovery-2/reference-manual#power_supplies_and_control

Hi @johu,

I don't know if 'impossible' is necessary the correct term, but 'quite difficult' considering that we don't know for certain what other (and how many) ICs got damaged. Based on Digilent's Return Policy though, there will not be a lot that Digilent can do to help you in terms of having us repair the board.

Thank you,
JColvin

Well, my warranty request was rejected by the dealer, due to the info I provided here. Not a great move, but hey. Not protecting the USB input is a bit of a design flaw as a faulty USB hub power supply is not too uncommon. Thats why devices like STF202-22T1G exist.

I've ordered a new unit and will just put a 5.1V Zener across.

It's a wonderful product but this was frankly a bit of a let-down.

Hi @johu

Sorry to hear this.
The fact is that the specification for USB voltage is 4.5V - 5.25V so devices are build to expect such voltages.
The dedicated ICs (regulators) for USB are rated to 5.5V - 6V max.
(Recently my smartwatch was also killed by a cheap USB charger.)

In case you want to troubleshoot your AD2 you could verify the 1V and 3.3V rails for the FPGA.

image.png.8cd92f73d2be4e31d36ccd3df2a0872e.pngimage.png.c94bd1e816c2af6c7422a444589aaf01.png

Yeah, well, yes but still you saw that I killed the device without doing anything dubious. Just connecting a hub/isolator with a bad power supply. That said, I connected a Zener across the faulty supply and the Zener died instantly. These 10V surges are energetic and prolonged. A TVS could take it as I think they fail shorted. What a piece of crap supply...

Anyway, helpful hint. The 1V is perfectly alright but 3.3V is gone. So injected 3.3V onto said capacitor. Current draw is 53mA. The error message now comes up instantly and says:

No JTAG device.

Device programming failed.

Hi @johu

Unfortunately it looks like not only the 3.3V regulator but also further components are gone, so further troubleshooting is meaningless.
I would suggest to retire the guilty power supply before it damages other USB devices, pendrives, phones...

Archived