UOB

Question

Hi,

I bought some of your products (basys2

a couple of years ago I bought around 30 boards of Basys2 and 10  boards of Basys3 for academic use, and we have received the licence for the ISE9.2 from Xilinx, recently we are doing some upgrade for our lab, but we are facing a problem with Xilinx software, we cannot use our boards because xilinx is not providing us with the student licence for any version of ISE that support our target device. We have downloaded Digilent Adapt for configuring the FPGA chip, but we cannot generate the bit file for the target device.The boards come with ISE 9.2i. I appreciate your help and support, even by providing the licence file for any version that can support Basys2 ans Basys3. Attached are some information about two items.

Regards,

Wael

Basys2&3.pdf

11 answers to this question

Hi @UOB,

Digilent does not and has not provided any licensing files for the Xilinx ISE or EDK software, so unfortunately we will not be able to help you in that regard.

When you say "we cannot generate the bit file for the target device", are you attempting to program the Basys 3 with ISE 9.2? My understanding is that none of the ISE software, whether 9.2i or the last 14.7 version released in 2013, are able to target xc7A35t FPGA present on the Basys 3; only Xilinx's Vivado software is able to target and generate a bitstream for that particular FPGA chip. I believe ISE 9.2i (I personally have not used it) should be able to generate a bitstream for the Basys 2 FPGA though. Similarly, it is my understanding that the EDK software is also not able to create any designs for the Basys 3.

Additionally, what OS are you using for your computers and do you see any errors when attempting to generate a bitstream?

Thank you,
JColvin

Hi,

Basys3 is Xilinx Artix-7 FPGA (XC7A35T-1CPG236C) . I believe it's the same as e.g. on the CMOD A7, which works with the free (webEditition) Xilinx license.

The Basys2 page states

The Basys 2 board works seamlessly with all versions of the Xilinx ISE® tools, including the free WebPACK™

In my understanding, you shouldn't need a paid license for either board. They may have shipped one for additional features (e.g. Microblaze and on-chip scope in ISE) but they aren't mandatory to work with the board.

Try to generate a free ("WebEdition") license for Vivado (Basys3 board) and ISE (Basys2). Note, you may need to download an ISE version earlier than 14.7, according to the Xilinx download page.

This is the link from Vivado license manager:

image.thumb.png.8a3f52bb3471bea98c2340151c7773fa.png

And ISE.

image.png.e8a157a6db21950fe04340e26460c49f.png

In the main window, they appear in the "Help" menu.

Hi,

Many thanks for the reply, actually we used to do that to obtain licence from Xilinx ISE, but recently xilinx does not provide licence to some countries even for the webpack. I have posted the question on xilinx forum, but did receive any response.

Regards,

Wael

Hi @UOB,

I do not know this for certain, but your issue may be related to this Answer Record from Xilinx. Unfortunately, as Digilent does not make the ISE or Vivado software we will not be able to assist you in this, though Xilinx does provide an email in that answer you can contact about this rather just posting on their Forums.

I'm sorry I could not be of more help.

Thank you,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

I believe that Digilent does not and has not provided any licensing files for the Xilinx ISE or EDK software, but since we bought the kits from Digilent with the software, I assume that Digilent should also support us, We running our labs on Digilent boards since 2005, we have over 200 FPGA boards in different versions, and now we cannot run the lab, and we in the second week of the semester. I have sent message to websupport@xilinx.com

If we cannot get solution to this issue it means that all boards we bought from Digilent are useless, I hope that Digilent can help and support us.

Regards,

Wael 

Hi @UOB,

I sincerely wish that we (Digilent) could help you. The unfortunate reality is that we have no way to adjust or influence how the Xilinx software is set up or any of the policies associated with it, nor do we have an alternate solution that we can offer to you.

I'm sorry I could not be of more help.

Thank you,
JColvin

Hi @UOB,

I found a number of different web pages that discuss this or something similar (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6), but the general consensus that I have seen is that there is not an alternative tool paid or otherwise that will do all of the implementation and routing for the FPGA and then generate a bitstream that can be loaded onto the FPGA, much as I would like to say that I'm aware of one. A number of synthesis tools do exist, but that isn't the same as loading the project onto the FPGA. I believe there are a couple of non-Xilinx FPGAs with some open source tools (I think it's called Project IceStorm), but I'm not familiar with the tools or the FPGA itself to be able to offer much input on it.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi JColvin,

Since we have already two Labs of Digilent Basys2 &Basys3, we are looking for a solution to use the available boards, I have contacted MentorGraphics, and they have Mentor Precision Synthesis product that generates EDIF netlist with synthesis info needed to be loaded in FPGA PAR, but does not  generate a bitstream (BIT or ISC file) for Xilinx device configuration.  Does Digilent Adapt support EDIF netlist files? or do you have pother tools that can use EDIF netlist to configure the FPGA chip?

Regards,

Wael

Archived