Analog discovery standby current

Brentblueallen

Question

I used an analog discovery a lot for a class last year, but just pulled it out for the first time in a while. I used the +5VDC supply to power a MCU project but kept getting current overdraw warnings after a few minutes.

With all instruments closed and the analog discovery's pin header completely disconnected, the device is still drawing ~425 mA, which seems a bit high. Is it normal for the AD to have only ~75 mA of headroom for the voltage supply tool? I remember it being able to handle much more in the past.

1 answer to this question

The AD consumes without external load about 2W (400mA). This because the ADs/DAs and amplifiers are operating when it has software connected to it.

The +/-5V supplies are limited to take in total 200mA (including the loss on regulators). This ensures at least 100mA output. Reaching the 200mA you will get warning telling "The V+ and V- power supplied have stopped...".

The device is limited to take up to 1A. Reaching this limit the device is disconnected/reset, causing "Communication with the device failed" error. In case you get message with the 600mA limit, check to allow taking up to 1A.
The device will also reset when the 5V USB voltage drops (due to long cable and connectors) below the minimal (~3V) it is needed to work.
Make sure the device gets at least 4.5V, using short USB cable, powered hub, Y cable... See: https://forum.digilentinc.com/topic/35-analog-discovery-troubleshooting/

asdasd.png

Archived