Can't install windrvr6

Ryan Miller

Question

I have a Zynq ZC706 board.  The digilent drivers don't install correctly.  I've tried several methods including running the wrapper.bat file and using wdreg directly.  The problem seems to be with the windrvr6 driver file.  If I try to install the latest adept, I get an 80030000 error.  Using wdreg I get access is denied errors copying the inf file.  But I'm running from an administrator cmd prompt.

C:\Windows\inf>f:wdreg -compat -inf f:windrvr6.inf install
WDREG utility v10.21. Build Aug 31 2010 14:21:54

Processing HWID *WINDRVR6
Installing a signed driver package for *WINDRVR6
Error: Failed to install the INF file (F:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.2\data\xicom\cable_
drivers\nt64\windrvr6.inf)
Warning: cannot copy INF file F:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.2\data\xicom\cable_drivers\n
t64\windrvr6.inf to the INF directory: Access is denied.

Warning: cannot copy the INF file for device (hwid:*WINDRVR6): Access is denied.

Error updating the driver (hwid:*WINDRVR6) with the INF file: Access is denied.

Error: Failed trying to install the driver

Here's another try:

F:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.3\data\xicom\cable_drivers\nt64\dlc10_win7>wdreg -inf wind
rvr6.inf install
WDREG utility v10.21. Build Aug 31 2010 14:21:54

Processing HWID *WINDRVR6
Installing a signed driver package for *WINDRVR6
Error: Failed to install the INF file (F:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.3\data\xicom\cable_
drivers\nt64\dlc10_win7\windrvr6.inf)
LOG ok: 1, ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallA
LOG ok: 1, ENTER:  DriverPackageInstallW
LOG ok: 1, Looking for Model Section [DeviceList.NTamd64]...
LOG ok: 1, Installing INF file 'F:\Xilinx\Vivado\2017.3\data\xicom\cable_drivers
\nt64\dlc10_win7\windrvr6.inf' (Plug and Play).
LOG ERROR(3): error 3ee, PnP Install failed.
LOG ok: 1, Attempting to rollback ...
LOG ok: 1, No devices to rollback
LOG ok: 1, RETURN: DriverPackageInstallW  (0x3EE)
LOG ok: 1, RETURN: DriverPackageInstallA  (0x3EE)
 difx_install_preinstall_inf: err 3ee, last event 3, last error 3ee. UNKNOWN
Error: Failed trying to install the driver

Any help is appreciated.  The board is off during the install attempts.

9 answers to this question

Hi Ryan,

WINDRV6 isn't part of our drivers package, it's actually the driver for Xilinx's Platform USB cables. As I recall the ZC706 uses a Digilent JTAG-SMT1 or JTAG-SMT2 module, and not Xilinx's Platform USB. However, I think the Vivado installer groups all driver installs together and runs the sub installers sequentially and that it attempts to install WINDRV6 before installing the remaining drivers and support files. I'm not sure if failure to install the first set of drivers results in the installer aborting or if it continues on to the next set.

If you navigate to your Vivado folder do you see ".\lib\win64.o\FTD2XX.dll" and\or ".\lib\win32.o\FTD2XX.dll"? Also, if you go to control pannel, Programs and Features, do you see "Digilent Software" as an entry?

Thanks,
Michael

Hi Ryan,

Try downloading and installing the latest version of the Adept System for Windows and installing it:
https://reference.digilentinc.com/lib/exe/fetch.php?tok=b1f68c&media=http%3A%2F%2Ffiles.digilent.com%2FSoftware%2FAdept2%2BSystem%2BInstaller%2F2.16.4%2Fdigilent.adept.system_v2.16.4.exe

That should give you the files that are missing. Once installed try using the auto connect option in Vivado's Hardware server and see if it will connect. You shouldn't need WINDRVR6 unless you have a Xilinx Platform USB cable or the equivalent on-board circuit. If for some reason you do need to use the Platform USB cable you will need to reach out to Xilinx's technical support team to see if they can help you install WINDRVR6.

Thanks,
Michael

Hi Ryan,

Unfortunately that error code doesn't tell us anything other than that there were 3 driver packages present that couldn't be installed. It seems odd that neither our driver package nor Xilinx's WINDRV6 will install on your system. What operating system are you running? Is your user account a remember of the Administrators group? I feel like there was one person that had an issue like this before but I don't recall whether or not we found a solution. Maybe @attila remembers.

Thanks,
Michael

Hi Ryan,

You can try running the Adept System inatller from the command line and passing in an argument that tells it the path to a log file. In order for this to work you must first create the file, as it will not create the file if it doesn't exist. For example, if you have an e: drive you could create an empty text document named "adept_install_log.txt" and then run the following command, which assumes the installer executable is also located at the root of the e: drive:

"digilent.adept.system_v2.16.4.exe /LogFile="E:\adept_install_log.txt""

Be sure to use quotes around the filename that is specified for the log file. Hopefully the log will tell us something more than we already know.

Thanks,
Michael

Archived