Using multiple Analog Discover devices simultaneously

MJHanagan

Question

I have been using my Analog Discovery to measure output signals from a 3-axis accelerometer (Adafruit ADXL377) during an impact test event.  Being a 2-channel device I have to first measure the X+Y outputs then repeat the impact event measuring the Y+Z outputs.  I export these data then use a bit of Python code to combine two tests into a single result whereby I calculate the total acceleration by summing the squares of each axis (X+Y+Z).  I trigger the scope off the Y-axis and make the assumption that the Y-axis acceleration is the same in each of the paired impact tests (which seems a reasonable assumption for these initial tests).  For any given "impact test" I repeat the test 10 consecutive times measuring the X+Y outputs then 10 consecutive times measuring the Y+Z outputs then combine these data onto 10 X+Y+Z data set for analysis.  I see some differences in the combined X+Y+Z data depending on which set of Y output data is used for the combined X+Y+Z data.  The impact test itself has some inherent variability so this dual measurement just adds to the "noise" so the number of experiments needs to increase in order to make the experiment results valid.

It seems at first glance that if I bought a second Analog Discovery unit I might be able to simultaneously measure the X+Y outputs on unit "A" and Y+Z outputs on unit "B".  I would setup each scope to trigger off the same Y output so presumably they would trigger at the same time.

Has anyone tried this before?

1 answer to this question

Hi @MJHanagan

To compare the device readings try to measure the same lines, like X + Y with both devices.

For fine tuning you could try to recalibrate the devices using the WaveForms application/ Settings/ Device Manager/ Calibrate.
To have high resolution readings (~0.3mV) make sure to be in high gain, 5Vpk2pk. For this, set channel ranges to 5V and offset to -2V, this will cover -0.5V ... +4.5V.

Archived