PID controller on Nexys3

shrestha

Question

6 answers to this question

Hello,

If you want a controller for a motor then you can use a PI controller (derivative component is not very important in this case). You can start using a very simple PI controller. 

The PI controller is running in a loop like on the following C code (see also the link https://batchloaf.wordpress.com/2013/06/11/simple-pi-control-using-the-dspic30f4011/):

double setpoint, measured_value, error, output;
double previous_error = 0, integral = 0;
const double dt = 0.00005, Kp = 0.001, Ki = 0.001;

While(1)

{

if(Time_interrupt == 1)

{ 

Time_interrupt = 0;

setpoint = read_set_point();

measured_value = read_measured_value();
             error = setpoint - measured_value;
             integral = integral + error*dt;
             output = Kp*error + Ki*integral;
             previous_error = error;
        }
}

You can modify the constants and also the timer. Time_interrupt becomes 1 on each 0.00005 seconds and this is the reason that dt constant is 0.00005 - in seconds. 

Regards,

Cristian

The link was gone like you said when I started writing this reply, but it appears to be back up now... hopefully it stays there.

But PID control can quickly become a very involved topic, especially if you're not super familiar with some of the math and theory involved behind it, and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be a lot of material out there that explains PID from the ground up. This project goes beyond the scope of what Digilent does as a company, and it's been awhile since I took a process control class, so I will be of limited help. 

However, I would recommend checking out these three links that get progressively more in depth on PID here, here, and here. There is also an (apparently) semi-famous article on PID for people with PhD's here that does a decent job on explaining the purpose of the three main parts of PID (proportional, integral, and derivative).

Thanks,

JColvin

Archived