Quad SPI flas and .bin file upload

ThomG

Question

Hi,

I'm working with the Cmod A7 Artix7 FPGA. I'm finishing my project and would like to upload the bin file to the SPI flash so when there is a power cycle the fpga doesn't have to be programed.

When I follow the instructions from this link: https://reference.digilentinc.com/learn/programmable-logic/tutorials/cmod-a7-programming-guide/start

With those instruction, I can upload using JTAG, but it's not permanent, I can create a bin file and Vivado 2017.1 says it's uploaded. But when I cycle the power the program haven’t been saved.

What can I do about this?

Kind regards,

Thom

5 answers to this question

Hi @ThomG,

If you look at step 5 of the tutorial you linked to it walks you through adding a project to the quad spi flash. I followed this tutorial to completion about 2 months ago so i would first suggest to try going through the tutorial with the project provided and see if you are able to program the quad spi flash.

cheers,

Jon

I still can't permanently flash the FPGA.

I follow the tutorial step by step and still nothing. when I flashed the FPGA Vivad0 2017.1 shows this message: "Flash programming completed successfully." But when i cycle the power the FPGA isn't flashed with my program.

What am I doing wrong?

Hi @ThomG,

I found a thread on the xilinx forums here that says to program the flash using the non-project stand alone mode. I was not able to program the flash in Vivado 2017.1 using the hardware manager in the project but I was able to program the flash using the stand alone hardware manager on the main page under the tasks section. I have included a screen shot. I also included a completed project that programs the flash with the hello world and following the this tutorial. Screen shot below of tera term.

hello_world.zip

quad_spi_sdk_cmod_a7.jpg

quad_spi_vivado_stand_alone_cmod_a7.jpg

Archived