Adept Suite executables

ChrisArena

Question

Hi,

I just got the JTAG-USB adapter and I've installed the adept runtime and tools.

I don't see executables in what was installed: nothing under a bin directory. 

Where are the executables for the adept suite?

The one page "reference manual" for the JTAG-USB should include a couple of lines showing how to launch the executables that talk to the device, IMO. That might be true for the other JTAG interface products. 

Thanks,

Chris

9 answers to this question

Sam,

Linux 3.13.0-46-generic Ubuntu trusty

I found three executables after looking again just now:  dadutil, djtgcfg and dsumecfg. I did an "apropos digilent" to find them. Are there others? What is dftdrvdtch?

I used the dpkg install on the .deb files for the runtime and utilities.

It would be nicer not to have to discover them by having a pointer to them in the user manual. What I found was based on the man page having "digilent" in the text, so I don't know if that's complete.

Thanks,

Chris

Hello,

I would like to draw more attention to this thread. I am also having trouble locating the executables for the Adept software on my Ubuntu 14.04 installation. Does anyone have a definitive answer as to where/what the executable is?

Thanks in advance,

Kevin

Yikes, I'll have to apologize for the lack of follow-up here, Sorry ChrisArena if you're still around. 

As ChrisArena discovered, people wanting to use our programming solutions (either cables or on our system boards) should install the Adept Runtime and Adept Utilities for their version of Linux, available here: http://www.digilentinc.com/Products/Detail.cfm?NavPath=2,66,828&Prod=ADEPT2. Depending on your version of linux, you may want to use the DEB, RPM or binary version to install the package.

The Adept Utilities package contains three binaries that are a useful front-end to the runtime: dadutil, djtgcfg, and dsumecfg. dadutil is used to discover all attached Digilent devices, and djtgcfg is used to program a CPLD or FPGA with a bitstream. dsumecfg is only useful for people who own the NetFPGA SUME. If you want to design your own program that calls into the runtime, you should use Adept SDK, which includes documentation and is also linked above.

This lack of communication seems to have come from when we started posting DEB and RPM packages of these tools. Originally, we only posted the binaries, and that package for Adept Utilities contained (and still does) a README that describes the presence of these three binaries and directs you to use the man files for more info. The DEB and RPM downloads only include the package file and no README. 

FYI, the bitstreams are for the dsumecfg function... dadutil and djtgcfg don't use them. 

I also talked to the person who put together these packages, and it turns out they do actually contain descriptions embedded in the DEB and RPM files. You would see them if you opened them manually in the package manager GUI for your distro (probably a command line tool for accessing it too). My bet is that when you double click the file and cause it to install automatically you do not get the opportunity to see the description.

Any news on GUI of adept2 running on linux? The windows version is quite nice and simple. I am already spoiled.

We may do Qt, Java, FLKT, and so many widgets toolkits to play with. If nobody is making one, maybe I can do a simple gui...

Archived