Cable replacement between Pmod BT2 (connected to a device) and PC

Portia

Question

I would like to do a cable replace: by connecting a the bluetooth module to a device. and have the module send the data to the bluetooth of the PC. In which mode do I set the bluetooth module, do I need to store the blue tooth adresss of the PC in the bluetooth module?

The device I connect the Pmod BT2 uses only three signals of UART. I would like to send a string to the device wirelessly (once to initiate communication), and on reception of the string; the device must reply with range values. What are bluetooth headers and trailers that I should send when the module is in data mode?

1 answer to this question

Hi Portia,

Once you have the PmodBT2 powered on it will show as a bluetooth device on your PC. Once you have paired to it your pc you can send and recieve data. Here is the resource page for the PmodBt2. It has a demo for microcontrollers as well as an FPGA. Looking through the code for the FPGAs it loos like you would have RST = 1 and CTS = 0 to set the PmodBT2 to recieve and RST = 0 and CTS = 1 for it to send.  I would suggest to look at the ucf for the Nexys 3 attached below as to how to connect the uart pins if you are using an FPGA in hdl. Here is the PmodBT2 IP if you are using an fpga with either Microblaze or Zynq. 

pins.ucf

Archived