Hello fellow Zybo enthusiasts!

Retrobits

Hello everyone!

My name is Earl, and I'm a lifetime electronics and computer hobbyist. During the last year I've been interested in learning about FPGAs. A friend gifted me a Mojo board (Spartan 6 LX9), and learning about that platform prompted me to go to the next level. I purchased a Zybo a few months back, and have been digging into the complexities of the Zynq 7000. It's a really cool chip! Some PMODs are on my Christmas list. ;)

The learning curve is steep. I've got a much better appreciation now for EE degrees (mine is CS). That said, this is really a lot of fun, and dovetails well with the IoT future. I really am looking forward to building some cool things.

Hope you all have a great holiday season!

- Earl

Yeah, I can understand why you would want to move away from a Spartan 6 LX9.  That's an awfully small chip, with barely any capability.  Still--it's not an impossible chip to work with.  For example, here [and here] is a project that manages to place a ZipCPU and a pre-emptive multi-tasking O/S onto the CMod S6--a board that also uses the Spartan 6 LX9.

My advice: Don't let your imagination be limited by any limitations of the board or chip that you have.  It's amazing what you can do with some of these things.

Yours,

Dan

Archived