Evaluating Fubarino SD

roujesky

Question

I have an application that I developed using a custom pic32 board.  I want to port it to the Fubarino.  I developed it using MPLABX and the ICD3.  I also use FreeRTOS.   I would like to use the Fubarino board.   I am very fuzzy on the concept of the bootloader that comes with the Fubarino.  Does the Fubarino bootloader allow a firmware update out in the field?  That is, without the use of the IDE and ICD3?   Currently, we use the Trace System bootloader system.  It only supports the PIC32L and not the PIC32H.  I would like to use whatever is currently supported in Fubarino, if possible.....

I would like to continue using MPLABX and ICD3 system to debug this if possible.   I am a wimp, and need a debugger :)   Especially since I have sever tasks running concurrently...  Any thoughts or ideas?

thanks!

3 answers to this question

Hi roujesky,

Unfortunately, we do not have experience with the bootloader for the Fubarino board. I would suggest asking your question on the Fubarino ChipKit forum here. The wiki here also has more information about the Fubarino board although i did not see anything describing the bootloaders specifics.

cheers,

Jon

The Fubarino bootloader is primarily used over the USB interface on the board. So upgrades in the field would not be able to support that capability without changing the bootloader itself. The source code is available for it, however.

If you're only interested in keeping the existing bootloader, but debug using ICD3, then what you will probably need to do is to download the hex file of the bootloader, and add it as a loadable in the MPLAB X project. Then the two will be put together at compile time, downloaded at the same time, and then you should be good to go.

Archived