ADP3X50 buffer size in "Standard mode"

LuisP

Question

Hello! We are trying to use out ADP3450 to continuously take data using a Linux Alma9 system. For that we are using the Waveforms SDK system. Out goal is to take data from 4 channels simultaneously, taking 1 adquisition each 60 seconds using the default acqmodeSingle mode. The ADP3450 specifications state a maximum of 32,768 samples buffer size per channel. As we want to take data for 60 seconds each acquisition  this should limit our frequency to around 500 Hz. However I have found that even with 10kHz frequency the data is taken just fine.

My question are then:

- What is the maximum buffer size that the ADP3450 can handle before using the FDwfAnalogInStatusData command?

- If we continously take the data using a while loop is there any additional line needed to reset the buffer after the FDwfAnalogInStatusData command?

Thanks for the help!!!

7 answers to this question

The buffer size isn't 32,768 samples as the device now utilizes the DDR memory.

Originally when the specifications were created, the 32k was accurate for non-record mode, but that became out of date quite some time ago.

I am in the process of updating particular specification on the Reference site side among some other details.

One day I might get time to do the more ambitious task of updating the reference manual to the new style, refreshing the Specifications page in it's entirety and adding in a Device Configuration section, and creating a Datasheet for the ADP 3000 series, but that is not happening this week.

Edit: Some minor changes regarding buffer sizes and sample rates have been made.

Hi @LuisP

Originally in ADP3450 4x32ki oscilloscope buffer was available, using the device's B-RAM. This is still true for embedded Linux boot mode and optionally selectable in standard mode, for backward compatibility.
With newer software, with the new default standard mode configuration it can capture up to 128Mi total (2x64Mi or 4x32Mi or 8x16Mi) oscilloscope, 32Mi compressed logic analyzer and 2x32Mi AWG play samples. All this using the device's DDR-RAM. It also provides device buffering (memory segmentation) for scope and logic.

21 hours ago, attila said:

image.png

Hi @LuisP

Newer software version brings improvements, adds deep buffer, device buffering (memory segmentation)...

The FDwfAnalogInStatusData can return an entire capture 128M samples. You can also use FDwfAnalogInStatusData2 to retrieve parts of the data.
The Record mode is for long/continuous data streaming, data chunks are retuned in 'loop'.
The Single mode performs and returns one capture, up to device buffer size.
The FDwfAnalogInStatus fetches the data (chunk)/information from the device and rearms it for Single capture mode. For Record it fetches only the new samples since the previous FDwfAnalogInStatus call. The FDwfAnalogInStatusData and other Status* functions return last fetched data/information.

image.png

So @attila if I understood correctly as  FDwfAnalogInStatus fetches the data I can start a new capture and everything works fine? Also, I didn't get the answer about the buffer size, If the buffer size is 32,787 sampes how can I retrieve up to 128 MS in a mode that is not record?

For clarity, always trust Attila on the hardware and WaveForms specifics.

Only one of us is both a wizard, the creator of the WaveForms software, and the creator of the configuration/firmware for the Test and Measurement devices, and it's not me.