Accidently I took wrong power supply... Analog Discovery Studio refuses to turn On.

Ody101

Question

Posted (edited)

I was working on a project analyzing PWM signals. And I had a 24V power supply near me from the soldering gun. They were very similar and fitted perfectly. I took it and inserted it in the studio and it worked for a little while, then I noticed this and quickly unplugged it but it was too late. Later, when I tried connecting its power supply, rated 15V, it did not turn on. I don't smell anything burning but... I feel like I killed :( Do you have any fuses or anything like that for the power supply? Or that is the end.

Edited by Ody101
grammar error

4 answers to this question

Hi @Ody101,

I have moved your thread to a section of the Forum where the engineer more familiar with the internals of the Analog Discovery Studio hardware will be able to see your post, since I am uncertain what all protection measures are in place, though I don't believe there is a fuse that can be easily replaced.

I know it's too late at the moment now for you, but for what it's worth, I have made a point of putting labeled sticky notes on my external power supplies both so that I can quickly identify between the myriad of voltage ranges without having to squint at the small print on the side of the brick.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hello JColvin and Attila, 

The information that you provided was precious. I was able to find the faulty components. Components "Q1 NTLUS3A18PZTCG" and "IC12 MP8756GD" Failed. The analog studio seemed to work again after component "IC12 MP8756GD" was removed and replaced with a bench Power Supply. But the power switch does not work, and component "Q1 NTLUS3A18PZTCG" also shows short. I would like to know, how crucial this component is and what is "discharge". I was trying to find the replacement part but it is no longer sold.image.png.d99d5f50f2b65c85437f94f9a32f8090.png

Thank You

Ody101.