Digilent Power Configuration Issue

hsk

Question

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I've been using the Digilent Discovery 3 for a little while now and it's been working out great! Unfortunately when I went to plug in the device to my laptop today, I received the following error in Waveforms (screenshot attached). I have tried changing the USB-C cable, powering separately with a 5VDC supply, and restarting/power cycling. Unfortunately, nothing has worked. What else can I try to make this work or has the device just failed?

Thanks for the help!

Screenshot 2024-05-03 at 2.00.00 PM.png

Edited by hsk
typo

4 answers to this question

Hi @hsk

Are you using original USB C-C cable ? Try using a different port or better a different computer to make sure the problem is not with the laptop.
Does the 5V DC supply output close to 5V ? Is the LED next to the USB lit up dimly when it is connected only to 5VDC (no USB) ? The device only accepts between 4.5V and 5.5V

Edit: The monitoring data for this dialog will be corrected in the next software version.
It should have displayed 41.9*C USB: 5.06V 472mA AUX: 3.454V ...
The 5V DC supply you are using seems to output low voltage or it is off and the voltage is due to backpower from USB.

Hi @attila

Thanks for your help with trouble shooting this.

I am using the original USB-C to USB-C cable and I've tried connecting with a different laptop but still got the same error message. I was using a regulated DC power supply which measured pretty close to 5V exactly. I'm worried about pushing the voltage higher as it seems like the device will only accept a narrow range (4.5V-5.5V). Also, the LED was still lit despite the error message. 

Hi @hsk

Please try a different cable, eventually the latest software version, but I don't remember changing anything critical for AD3.

If it is still not working, for warranty and replacement contact support.digilent@ni.com, specifying the Date of Purchase, Seller and Purchase Order/ Web order Number.

Hi @attila

I've tried substituting the USB-C cable as well and no change. I'll try the latest software version you linked - right now I'm using 3.22.20 which is pretty recent but not the latest on the list. I'll follow up with the support team for a warranty and replacement if the software update doesn't work out. Thanks for your help!