Problem getting voltage measurement in LabVIEW with PMD-1208LS connected to USB 4

Charlotte G

Question

I am trying to connect a PMD-1208LS to LabVIEW through my personal Windows computer, which has 2 USB 4 ports. The PMD works (the light turns on when I connect it to my computer) and my computer recognizes it when I plug it in (the computer makes a noise and the PMD is visible under 'Other Devices' in settings).

The digital manual for the PMD says : "The PMD-1208LS is a USB 1.1 low-speed device that is used for data acquisition and control. It is designed for USB 1.1 ports, and was tested for full compatibility with both USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 ports. The PMD-1208LS device is supported under Microsoft Windows 98SE/ME/2000 and XP."  Am I able to get a voltage measurement out of this PMD onto my computer in LabVIEW?

When I go into LabView, under New >> NI DAQ-Task >> Aquire Signals >> Analog Input >> Voltage Signal, no ports show up. However, when I go into Instacal, it shows up as 'Universal Series Bus >> Board #0 USB-1208LS (212)' and I am able to perform board tests that show up in ScanView, with the correct voltages showing. (I am using a 1.5 V battery to test the channels). 

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong or how I can connect this to LabVIEW, since it seems to show up in InstaCal and ScanView?

1 answer to this question

The PMD-1208LS is not a NI-DAQ device. To use it with LabVIEW, install ULx for NI LabVIEW and use our VI's for control. Once installed, look for our VI pallet on User Libraries. LabVIEW 2024 support is not yet available. Before starting, review the help document that is accessible via LabVIEW's Help menu item.  The examples are installed in ..\National Instruments\LabVIEW 2023\Examples\ULx\. I suggest starting with the example ULx Cont Acq&Chart Samples-SW Timed, which is in Measure Slow Varying Signal.llb in ..\ULx\Analog In\.