Reading Values of Real Time Clock (RTC) through Zedboard

amna

Question

Posted (edited)

Hi @artvvb. I hope you are doing fine.

I recently started working with RTC module. I successfully read its values through Arduino. Now I want to read its values by making its connection with zedboard. I have made its connection with PMOD A and written it's desired constraint file according to pin assigning. I am confused how to observe it's values like would it be done by help of building a block design by including ILA or a verilog code. 

I will be grateful if you help me with this.

Thank you. 

Edited by amna

3 answers to this question

On 5/2/2024 at 3:37 AM, amna said:

Hi @artvvb. I hope you are doing fine.

I recently started working with RTC module. I successfully read its values through Arduino. Now I want to read its values by making its connection with zedboard. I have made its connection with PMOD A and written it's desired constraint file according to pin assigning. I am confused how to observe it's values like would it be done by help of building a block design by including ILA or a verilog code. 

I will be grateful if you help me with this.

Thank you. 

Hi @artvvb . Looking forward for the response of question from your side.

Thank you

Sorry for the delay. What interface does the RTCC use? UART or SPI or a few others could be handled with a block design. This guide goes over the basics of setting up a design with the Zynq processor: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/guides/getting-started-with-ipi. Custom HDL is also an option. In general you would create a Vivado project that maps those RTCC pins to a controller that can handle the communication standard the RTCC uses - there are a wide variety of options for controllers depending on the specifics of your project and the RTCC part you're using.

17 hours ago, artvvb said:

Sorry for the delay. What interface does the RTCC use? UART or SPI or a few others could be handled with a block design. This guide goes over the basics of setting up a design with the Zynq processor: https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/guides/getting-started-with-ipi. Custom HDL is also an option. In general you would create a Vivado project that maps those RTCC pins to a controller that can handle the communication standard the RTCC uses - there are a wide variety of options for controllers depending on the specifics of your project and the RTCC part you're using.

Hi.

Thank you for the response I'll go through the provided link to implement the project. The interface to be used is SPI. For now I want to observe time and date as output. The module of RTC that I am using is DS3231.