Frequency Response Linearity

Eugene101

Question

Hi,

I'm trying to measure frequency response of an audio amp using AD2 and Audio Analyser Suite.

In order to check the equipment I've measured FR diectly connecting W1 to Scope 1 & Scope 2. the picture I've receive is as follows:

Test_01_Green_Cable.thumb.JPG.b4c1d787fc1cec1adc507931401d77e7.JPG

Looks like there's some slight non-linearity of the AD2 itself on frequencies above 3 KHz. Can it be so, or am I doing something wrong?

Also, measuring a square wave at the 20KHz shows some imperfections.

WaveformsSquare10000.thumb.JPG.0fd5bd92a8e4a3425362ab9a819c5f6d.JPG

Is it the limitation of the scopes or the wavegen?

Thank you!

4 answers to this question

Hi @Eugene101

Is the wiring to the two scope channels completely identical and symmetric, splitter in middle and identical cables ?
If you are using probes at 10X you could try adjusting the trimmers.
The device has two trimmers for each channel for positive and negative inputs. These may need a bit of adjustment for high range, above 5Vpk2pk, 500mV/div. The 2nd and 3rd trimmers are for +, and 1st and 4th for - input.

With short BNC cables + T splitter I see ~0.005dB difference at low and ~0.02dB high range between the channel readings. This may also come from the BNC adapter capacitance difference.

image.pngimage.png

Posted (edited)

Thank you for the reply!

The connection is done through the special board that I've made. It's ok. The difference betwen channels is explainable.

But I see on your screen the same curve that was exactly the subject of my question: why it has a form like this? Shouldn't it be flat? Or the level off this fluctuation is neglectable?

Screenshot2024-04-10195010.jpg.2169107e46a578bc9bc496bb0cf541bc.jpg

Edited by Eugene101

Hi @Eugene101

Ideally it should be flat but nothing is perfect. I think such 0.2dB deviation is acceptable, unnoticeable with common usage.
https://www.ni.com/en/shop/electronic-test-instrumentation/oscilloscopes/what-are-oscilloscopes/3-hidden-oscilloscope-specs-that-really-matter.html

image.png

If you take relative measurement, like it is done by default in Network Analyzer, the different between channels is lower 0.002-0.05dB, see C2 is relative to C1
For more accurate measurement a close compensation can be used, an initial close loop reference curve R1, see M1 is C1 relative to R1 (earlier saved C1 curve)

image.png

13 hours ago, attila said:

For more accurate measurement a close compensation can be used, an initial close loop reference curve R1, see M1 is C1 relative to R1 (earlier saved C1 curve)

Thank yo very much, this is what I was looking for.