How to use DMM of Analog Discovery Pro (ADP5250) or NI Virtual Bench Using Labview

Evan Cleary

Question

Hi,

I am creating a LabView application needs to access the DMM and all DMM functionality such as measuring voltage, resistance, continuity, etc, for the ADP5250 and NI Virtual Bench

The Diligent waveforms library for LabView does not include VIs to control the DMM 

I have also looked through the SDK reference manual and there is no mention of how to address the DMM and access functions, it does however reference the DMM as channel 3 on the device page for the 5250

The Waveforms application recognizes the Virtual Bench as the same type of device as the ADP5250 and it allows the user to control the DMM so there must be a way to access it.

If some kind soul could help me to figure out how to use the DMM in Labview or how to write C or python code that can be called by LabView then it would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance 🙂  

Edited by Evan Cleary
update missed info

6 answers to this question

Hi @Evan Cleary,

I do not believe there is a way to access the DMM from the Digilent LabVIEW VIs and at least as of yet have not heard any plans to

There is an existing Python example that uses the DMM on the ADP5250 (AnalogIO_ADP5250_DMM.py); you can find it in the samples folder alongside the PDF version of the WaveForms SDK Reference Manual; you can readily open this folder from the Welcome tab of the WaveForms application.

WaveForms SDK location.png

Alternatively, if you happen to have existing VirtualBench VI material that runs the DMM, you can replace some drivers to make it work with the ADP5250 as mentioned in this post and the one immediately following it:

The catch with this, of course, is that this is technically a work-around as opposed to an official workflow.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin,

thank you very much for your response

I am going to be using 2021 SP1, I have followed the instructions given in the following links, which i followed from the link you shared 

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000kJXaSAM&_ga=2.14947382.1217338680.1712253343-151680061.1710960077&l=sv-SE

https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000kJXVSA2&l=sv-SE

I installed VirtualBench 19 first.  It seems to have worked, in function pallet, etc.  I cant verify right now but ill know better in the morning

I have noticed however that I get a broken wire in the dmm vis but no broken arrow, any idea what this is about? Its a new one to me 

image.png.c8ebd14d05f349950351779a4548ddf5.png

Hi @Evan Cleary,

I do not have LabVIEW installed, so unfortunately no, I do no not have any real insight into the broken wire.

From my limited experience and memory, that's usually indicative of mismatched data types. If simply deleting the wire and then reattaching it does not work, I would probably be looking to break up the cluster to see if I can "route out" (I don't know what correct jargon would be) the one expected data type.

Thanks,
JColvin

Hi @JColvin

when we last spole I was using a NI Virtual bench with the LabView Virtual Bench library.

We have now recieved an ADP 5250 and I am trying to get this to work with the same library, the Virtual Bench library uses a VirtualBench Device I/O Control, this unfortunately isnt finding the 5250, I can see the 5250 in waveforms though

Is there a way to get the labview control to see the 5250?