AD3 4-Terminal Impedance Measurement: Current Injection & Voltage Sensing

Pedro_Sousa

Question

Hello everybody,
I'm fiddling around with the AD3 Analog Impedance Analyzer. However, I would like to achieve something presented in the "IMAGE 1" below. I got the feeling with Digilent 3 and Waveforms, the arrangement provided is a 3-terminal/2-Terminal connection type (with a reference resistor for precision/calibration). (Image 2)
My goal would be to separete the source from the input, into a 4-Terminal arrangement, and calculate the impedance between at the S1+ (V+) and S2+ (V-).
Is that possible? If so, should I still provide a reference resistor for the system?
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you in advance for your help!

grafik.png.dc4f5b8e02c8f34cae3ad4032a7016e0.png

grafik.png.f28caf552da1abddb47ef5ec5d3cf3a5.png

Edited by Pedro_Sousa
adding AD3

3 answers to this question

Posted (edited)

The straigh red lines means to break the connection right?

Question, is it possible to make a impedance measurement without a reference resistor?
In my case, since I'm performing a local impedance measurement on a material, I can't know previously the capacitance/indutance values of the material in order to pick the proper resistor reference. I performed the arregement measurments of image 1 (S1- and S2- connected to GND) without a resistor reference, and the outputted impedance values come out wrongly and stray further from the ones measured with a LCR meter.

Edited by Pedro_Sousa