Logging/Recording SPI Bus

Hazardsneon

Question

I am using an Analog Discovery with WaveForms 3.21.3 to monitor a SPI bus.

Currently, all that I know how to do is view about 100us of the bus in the Logic viewing tab but I want to capture all communications from boot to running for a couple of seconds for troubleshooting purposes.

I have tried "Record to File" but all that shows up in the CSV is the Total Time and Sample.

How do you setup recording to grab the data or is there a different way to grab a few seconds of SPI traffic?

9 answers to this question

Hi @attila

I have been playing with the different settings and tools but can't get what I am looking for.

The closest that I have seen is using the multiple buffers option with Repeated Mode.  However, I can't seem to find a protocol mode that captures all of the data.  The protocol tool grabbed 10 transfers but using "Start" as the trigger, I can only get 8 buffers.

I tried the Record Mode but can't seem to find a balance that captures long enough, with enough resolution to decode the data with the Protocol.  When trying to view, the transfers, I set to 10us/div or 20us/div.

I didn't even know about the Protocol Tool and I like it too.  It was able to capture all communications from boot but, I also want to monitor two IRQ lines, which makes me want to use the Logic tool.

I must be missing something or not understand the correct settings because I can't seem to capture anything that is worth while.

If I do the setting just as you have them, I don't get anything useful.  The data doesn't show decoded messages and if I zoom in, everything is distored.

Hi @attila 

I think @Hazardsneon is referring to the record to file button that appears at the top

I'm also new to this and I think I'm trying to do the same as him but with UART instead of SPI

when i use the record button and set it up everything works as expected

Capturadepantalla2024-03-01alas1_54_45.thumb.png.c9aadc56d79cd0cdeaf8e3279a35cc63.png

but when I try to record data using the record to file button I get unexpected data that I don't know how to interpret

Capturadepantalla2024-03-01alas1_58_32.thumb.png.ad94127f73bf0a1e510ef99e7c69176b.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-01alas1_59_31.thumb.png.97f0c0750aed0f7f79a6d84cf1dc8ebb.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-01alas2_01_08.thumb.png.774579c2549d9acee32b9816cafa5b35.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-01alas2_01_50.thumb.png.a125cd938b9ee102b4e450abdf909303.png

Capturadepantalla2024-03-01alas2_02_42.thumb.png.013d56dd5be521a008d169b392461d79.png

I'm not sure what the source of those readings is, from the oscilloscope perhaps?

The truth is that I'm not sure how to use the record to file tool correctly and I think the same thing is happening to @Hazardsneon

Hi @LarryMerino

The 'Record to File' captures raw data up to 'unlimited' length which needs to be processed by external application.
Use the Mode:Record for longer capture and you want processing in the WaveForms application.
Use the Protocol tool if you are interested only in one UART,SPI,I2C,CAN,CEC,JTAG or SWD protocol data.

image.png

Back to your point of capturing screen shots.  I went to grab the screen shots and it worked for me.  I was able to zoom in on the frames and they were decoded.  I was also able to export the data captured to a csv.

It doesn't allow me to grab the 256i at 1 sec but it adjusts the number of samples if you adjust the time base to a number that doesn't make sense.

Thanks for your help!

This tool has proven time and time again to be very useful!  It has been well worth buying when I was in school instead of borrowing one from the equipment desk for each lab.

Hi @Hazardsneon

I don't understand this. Can you attach a screenshot ?

3 hours ago, Hazardsneon said:

It doesn't allow me to grab the 256i at 1 sec but it adjusts the number of samples if you adjust the time base to a number that doesn't make sense.