VISA Compatibility?

Conrad2468

Question

Howdy, 

I'm relatively new to this environment and have been having some trouble doing large-scale data acquisition with the Waveforms software and my ADP3450 scopes. I can collect data just fine on one scope but I have up to 6 of them in use at a time and controlling them from one central place would be nice as opposed to opening up 6x instances of the waveforms app. I am looking into linux mode, but my company already has some in-house software that talks VISA with all of our other scopes Tektronix, etc. I am curious if anything exists which lets these scopes talk VISA (whether in linux mode or not) or if there is an easier way to control multiple scopes at once (i see the "dual" option but it's not quite relevant here). Currently I'm using scripting to automatically save files, but communications are flakey and I have to watch each instance of Waveforms like a hawk to ensure the comms didn't drop before I collect my next set of data. 

Thanks!

-Conrad

4 answers to this question

@attila I see that! I'll see what I can prototype with the SDK my C is a little rusty. I'm still trying to recreate the communication issue. It only seems to happen when I have 4+ instances of waveforms open at a time connected to 4x scopes via wifi. Unfortunately the error isn't terribly descriptive. 

Yeah I wasn't able to replicate my error in my testing unfortunately. We can close that. Also, I did get a python script running that automatically connects, configures, and pulls data from multiple scopes. The SDK was super helpful although I think the c data types in python is a bit hacky. Regardless I was able to get it to work! 

Thanks for the examples!

-Conrad