Exporting data in 120 frames

Abdullah1

Question

Hello

I am new to analog discovery and I would like to export the data from the study that I am doing however it only export what is shown on screen as 2-3 frame where I am looking to get 120 frames of the study from the data.

So from the study shown here it shows 2 frames and while trying to export the data it only gives me the option to receive what is shown here and not the ability to make it gather a 120 frames of the data. Is there a way to that? I tried using the record to play but not sure why it didn't give me the option to specify how many frames that I can get.  

default.png

6 answers to this question

Hi @Abdullah1

There are several options depending on which Analog Discovery device you're using.

Assuming AD3, you could reduce the sample rate below ~10 MHz and should be able to record all 120 frames to the screen, using "Mode: Record". You would need to specify an appropriate samples count and sample rate in the Time settings to make sure all 120 events are recorded. Assuming 2 events per millisecond, 120 events takes 60 ms, and 600 kS at 10 MS/s should cover it.

If information about the voltage signal between events is not important, you could use repeated triggers - if you are using the 3000-series Analog Discovery Pro, device buffering would let you capture every pulse. This guide was put together recently: https://digilent.com/reference/test-and-measurement/guides/waveforms-buffers. The gear dropdown next to the "Buffer" field near the Scope's Run button lets you configure the device to acquire multiple buffers of data sequentially, from repeated triggers. That said, each buffer may need to be individually exported.

image.png

Thanks,

Arthur

Hey @artvvb

Thank you for your quick response. I am using AD2 and I tried the method above but it still not giving me 120 frames.

Just to clarify what I am doing: I am generating a wave that capture the transducer response from 0 to 0.5ms each frame. From the captured above it only shows 2 frames which I only can record 1ms and be exported in csv file. I am trying to get 120frames = 60ms of that response to be exported to csv. Is there a possible way to do that?

If your application allows you to reduce the sample rate below 3 MHz, you could use record mode, as seen below. I was able to successfully capture 60 ms of data at 2 MHz using AD2:

image.png

The "base" setting in the config dialog lets you specify how long to record for.

@artvvb

Thank you for guiding me on this. So when I click record it always says sample were lost. I am trying to get 60ms in a (5-6.25MHz). What could be the issue and how to make it work. I am sending two signals of 10kHz and 2.5MHz connected in AND gate generated by 5V and recording the response from the transducer. 

@Abdullah1

The record configuration dialog includes this note for AD2: 

image.png

Unfortunately, this means that this recording is likely not possible with AD2, as USB 2.0 and buffer sizes limit the throughput over USB. The approx 3 MHz maximum rate is too close to your signal frequency, and you would only get one sample per period of the 2.5 MHz signal. Unchecking the "Noise" box may also help, as indicated by the note in the dialog, but I suspect that it won't help enough.

Newer devices like the AD3 would be capable of this measurement due to improvements in the hardware - AD3 can do 32 kS at up to 125 MS/s or record for longer at up to ~10 MS/s, as opposed to the AD2's 16 kS at up to 100 MS/s or up to ~3 MS/s recordings.

@attila may have additional suggestions.

Thanks,

Arthur

@artvvb I appreciated your assistance on all my questions. Based on the limitation of the recording tool is there a way I could set the recording to record 2ms each time and save it on a file each time. For example setting the function to record 30 times, 2ms for each recording in 6.25MHz rate and saving it in one file of data? Thank you