PostView - Active Device not recognized

Jay Bland

Question

I am migrating our current PC running PostView and connected instrument to a new machine. I've installed PostView and Personal DaqView but am encountering an issue on the new PC: when I open PostView the active device is missing, only the 2 simulated devices are available. How am I able to get the active device recognized on the new PC?

14 answers to this question

PostView is used to display data captured by Personal DaqView. Captured data will consist of a binary .bin file and a header file .dsc, which has the number of channels, input ranges, sample rate, and so on. Both files must be present for PostView. It can be started from the Personal DaqView GUI or by itself. However, when it is started from Personal DaqView GUI, it works only if data was recently captured. Both programs were not upgraded to Windows 10 or 11, so you must run them with the Run as an administrator Windows start option. 

Information about using the programs can be found in the following user manual: https://files.digilent.com/manuals/personal_daq50_series.pdf

If the PersonalDaq's power LED is off, the device will not appear in Personal DaqView's Active Devices panel. If it is on, please ensure it is connected before starting the software. As for PostView, I don't know what you mean because it gets its data from a data file and not from an active device. 

Hello, thank you for letting me know about the LEDs. The LEDs are on when the unit is connected to the PC currently in use. I also noticed that when I connect the device to this PC windows automatically recognizes the device and installs drivers, etc. 

When I connect the unit to the PC we are trying to migrate to, the following happens:

Windows makes the sound that the device is being recognized but there is no notification like on the other PC that the device is actually being recognized and that the drivers are installed. The LEDs also will not power on when connected to this PC. Here is a picture of the desktop when this happens:

image.thumb.png.9af5fcdfa20a53ce7d2cfa737ed52af4.png

Thank you for your prompt response. I'm running PostView but encountering the following issue. Apologies for the confusion, i guess the issue lies with DaqView and not PostView?

The PC currently in use shows the device as recognized:

image.png.de85d23d00070a8110c07b8aadfe0c6e.png

The PC we are migrating to does not recognize the device, it only show the two simulated devices:

image.png.3fe2165f018fb7dd19ca9b21177ef5b7.png

Is there a reason why the new Win11 PC doesn't pick up the device?

The PersonalDaq 54, 55, and 56 do not support Windows 10 or 11. However, some of our customers have found ways to make them work. One tip I have found is to ensure the computer's hardware has the latest updates from the manufacturer. This is especially true for new computers, which often ship with outdated firmware. I have also found that some manufacturers do not make drivers available for Windows 10 or 11 that run on older hardware. I have a Dell Precision 5820 desktop with Windows 11 that works with the PersonalDaqs, so it can work. 

I ran Dell Command/Windows updates but still ran into the same issue. I wanted to check if there's anything specific you know of that may work before we need to look into purchasing a new DAQ device.