Thermes and DasyLab Lab

Richard Price

Question

The Windows XP version of DasyLab allowed Thermes to collect data at a rate of at least 0.2 a second (5Hz).  The current Windows 10/11 version of Dasy Lab has throttled back the data collection rate to 0.5 s (2Hz).   Does anyone have a fix, because theThermes says it can collect data at 16 measurements a second.  Why is it throttled back in Windows 10/11?

4 answers to this question

The Physitemp Thermes device uses the Measurement Computing USB-TC to measure thermocouple temperature and cannot measure temperature faster than 2Hz. The USB interface, however, was designed such that it was possible to ask for data faster than the actual measurement. For example, a program could read it 10 times a second, not knowing that the temperature was updated only twice a second. I don't know which release changed this, but DASYLab now allows only a maximum of 2Hz to reflect the device's capabilities.

I purchased the Physitemp Thermes specifically because on your website, it states that it can make 16 measurements per second. 

In my opinion, this is false advertising because, yes, 8 channels operating at 2 Hz can make 16 measurements a second, but one channel cannot!  A colleague is using Windows XP and he can make measurements at 5Hz.  So I fully expected that Thermes would not be throttled back when running DasyLab on Windows 10/11.

What solutions can you offer?  I suggest a DasyLab 11/12 license and a Worksheet that works with Windows XP.  My Worksheet only works with Windows 10-11.

Thank you 

Thermes  16 measurements.jpg

Please get in touch with the support team at Physitemp to resolve the issue.

Our quickest thermocouple reader is the E-TC, which can return four samples/sec/channel and can be controlled with the DASYLab software. 

This answer is from Physitemp support.

The specific answer to above comment :"I purchased the Physitemp Thermes specifically because on your website, it states that it can make 16 measurements per second." from Richard Price question.

This is provided by MCCDAQ USB-TC hardware Mfg. user's manual. The explanation of total 16 sample/second is for eight channels maximum is true on the website.

The explanation below might clear the sample/rate understanding. The channel #1 is CJC reference for factory calibration only in the THERMES system. This sampling rate 2HZ=0.5sec. means 2 samples/second/channelx8=16 samples. The DasyLab 2016 and later version are compatible with Windows 10-11 OS based computers and the max sample rate allowed is 2HZ (0.5s) is as measurement cycle- displayed/or write in ASCII for 2 samples in one second. It means the "update-rate" or sampling rate is 2 samples/sec/ch. It is the hardware capability to update the data collected and processed as it is defined by the settling time for the temperature displayed (data) Vs. time required for the accurate reading.

Throughput rate
Throughput rate specifications Number of input channels
Maximum throughput
2 S/s
2 S/s on each channel, 4 S/s total
2 S/s on each channel, 6 S/s total
2 S/s on each channel, 8 S/s total
2 S/s on each channel, 10 S/s total
2 S/s on each channel, 12 S/s total
2 S/s on each channel, 14 S/s total
2 S/s on each channel, 16 S/s total