Force custom IP ports to update?

engrpetero

Question

I've been working with one custom IP project for several weeks now.  It's getting close to finished.  Only today, I've had an issue show up I've never experienced before.  I added two ports to the IP - one input and one output (not that the directions matter) - and then added appropriate code to deal with the two ports.  When I go to repackage IP, the Package IP Settings dialog (which normally provides a link to 'Merge Changes') doesn't show and the IP indicates with a check mark that the Ports are 'good'. 

Since I've never seen Vivado NOT detect when the ports have changed, I've never needed to figure out how to 'force' a port upgrade.  So two questions...

1. Why does Vivado NOT recognize the ports have changed?
  2. How do I force Vivado to 'learn' (or determine or scan, etc.) that port changes have occurred before I repackage?

image.png.c26c8e13e1dc0f50cd8e6f7d58b261d2.png

5 answers to this question

I've actually seen complaints of this often.  I'm not sure I've seen the "right" solution yet, although I think I recall individuals having success by forcing Vivado to repackage their IP from scratch.

58 minutes ago, D@n said:

I've actually seen complaints of this often.  I'm not sure I've seen the "right" solution yet, although I think I recall individuals having success by forcing Vivado to repackage their IP from scratch.

Thanks for the reply, @D@n.  When you say, 'force Vivado to repackage their IP from scratch', what do you mean? 😃 

I can't seem to find a way to force this and googling didn't help.  I guess I could try something like commenting out much of the project and putting in a very new simple port list and see if Vivado responds...

6 hours ago, engrpetero said:

When you say, 'force Vivado to repackage their IP from scratch', what do you mean?

I'd expect restarting the IP packager fresh to create a new instance of the IP, adding in the files you pulled from the original instance, would work, even if it would be a hassle.

There's some more discussion of this issue here: https://support.xilinx.com/s/question/0D52E00006miunQSAQ/ip-packager-not-updating-ports-from-vhdl-code?language=en_US.

Thanks,

Arthur