Did I damage my Discovery 2?

mana

Question

I accidentally took a 24V instead of a 5V PSU to power the Discovery 2 device. When I probe use a multimeter to read the voltage between GND and +V I get 0V. Also the waveform generator, when hooked up to a scope, doesn't seem to output anything. Did a toast my Discovery 2?

Note that the polarity was (unfortunately) correct so I suspect there wasn't a diode or anything else that protects the board inside the Discovery 2. The LED in the center is still flashing.

1 answer to this question

Hi @mana

The 5VDC AUX supply on AD2 is protected up to 16/20V and has polarity protection.
https://digilent.com/reference/test-and-measurement/analog-discovery-2/hardware-design-guide#power_supplies_and_control

I don't know what could the 24V damage, but the blinking LED indicates the digital part and FPGA are working.
If the high voltage has reached the internal circuitry from AUX, both the analog and digital circuitry should be damaged, except the USB controller which is supplied directly from the USB. You should get an error message when connecting with the WaveForms application to the device.