Max Temperature of AD3

Ronnie

Question

9 answers to this question

I found that maybe I need to set https://docs.rs/dwf/latest/dwf/dwf/constant.DwfParamTempLimit.html# param 11, which seems to work.  Let me know if any gotcha on this? 

Some background: We are using the AD3 in an outdoor environment, on a hot day -- we are looking into ways to help us with thermal issues, but need to go beyond 85c for now.  How hot can we go before this thing breaks? :P 

Edited by Ronnie
background added

Hi @Ronnie

The default limit is 85*C measured on the FPGA die, which is usually the hottest IC on the board.
This is the recommended maximum temperature for the FPGA.
Above this various problems could occur, measurement drifts, FPGA/ADC/DAC timing problems...
The absolute maximum rating for the FPGA is 125*C

See the WaveForms SDK Reference Manual.pdf

image.png

image.png

Hello @attila

Do you know if the AD3 includes the "C", "I" or "Q" version of the Xilinx Spartan-7 FPGA?  The part number of the FPGA includes a last letter that identifies whether its an commercial, industrial or expanded version of the FPGA.  

image.thumb.png.6022a9c6d288b12c0a1ef80adce70d27.png

image.thumb.png.57298837c6df030c83e331577b2f1964.png

Hi @Ronnie

I don't see is marked on the IC but probably C are loaded. I and Q are listed as substitute.

On 1/29/2024 at 12:43 PM, attila said:

85*C

If you are concerned about temperature, you could glue a heatsink to the FPGA. Note that this voids the warranty.

Thanks, we are working on a heatsink experiment.  Do you guys have any plans to support an "industrial" version of your product?  We are deploying a prototype that includes your product in the Oil and Gas sector, but that means its running outdoors in an explosion proof enclosure.