Basys 3 not powering

Tom DeCasper

Question

I am having an issue with a recently purchased Basys 3. With the JP2 jumper in USB position, power LED is not illuminating with switch in ON position and device is not being recognized by PC. I removed the jumper and measured 5.19V at VBUS of JP2 when micro USB is attached. 

3 answers to this question

Hi @Tom DeCasper,

In principle, your setup sounds correct and the voltage is within the acceptable range (3.6 V to 5.5 V when the USB Host function is not being used), https://digilent.com/reference/programmable-logic/basys-3/reference-manual#power.

I imagine this is not the case, but since I've seen all of the following situations more than once before, I want to confirm the following details:

- If you are connected to a powered hub, the USB hub is hasn't been disconnected from the host computer (presumably it's still powered since you are getting power)
- you are connected to the microUSB port on J4 (as opposed to the larger Standard A port on J2)
- The microUSB cable is not plugged in upside down

It's also good to do a sanity check of trying a different USB cable and USB port. I'm not anticipating these to be the issue since you are successfully measuring voltage on the JP2, but if your OS is not recognizing the attached device, it's good to double check you are not using a charging only cable.

Let me know what you learn.

Thanks,
JColvin

JColvin,

Thanks for the reply. I have only tried getting power to the device using the J4 microUSB port with no other peripherals connected. I am connected directly to a laptop and have tried all the usb ports on the laptop. I have tried a few microUSB cables with the same result.

Tom

Hi @Tom DeCasper,

At this point I would be inclined to think that the power regulator is not functioning and would recommend getting a replacement presuming your are within the 1 year warranty, https://digilent.com/shop/shipping-returns/#warranty.

If you purchased the product through Digilent directly, please send me a private message with the following information:

- Order Number
- Purchase Date
- Serial number of the Basys 3 (located on the barcode on the underside of the device starting with "D")
- preferred email address

I will then work with the Digilent Sales team to start the RMA; they will contact you to confirm any additional details I do not have access to (such as address).

If you purchased the board through a distributor (Digikey, Element14, Amazon, etc) you will need to contact them to determine their own replacement process. They will then work with Digilent as needed. Feel free to link to this thread as evidence of having done troubleshooting with a Digilent engineer.

Thanks,
JColvin